• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: Volante Catch Report 24th & 25th April 2004 by Jeff

Subject: Volante Catch Report 24th & 25th April 2004
    jeff

posted on 26/4/2004 at 09:30
    First of all...great to see loads of catch reports on the board.

Secondly, Good to meet you in the flesh for the first time Norman. Even though you were wearing a skunks outfit!!

Now for the catch report..(3 people fished both days)

24th

As we had good weather we thought we'd go some distance. We fished wrecks 19miles off Seaham and headed north keeping roughly the same distance out right up to St. Mary's. Made our way back inshore wrecking all the way, (4 miles). Arms were aching as a result of the 46 fathom depth and not being used to it!!

The fishing was slow... we had a couple of cod up to 8lbs and ling to 6lbs. There was of course a couple of Whiting and Scotchies. The positive to come from the day is that we have trued up the readings for the long distance wrecks in readiness for when it kicks off. This should save some steaming time in the summer. The water was quite clear and noticeably more so up North. The fish that were taken were on the Royd Shrimps baited with raw Tiger Prawns.

25th

Fished the can off St. Mary's at anchor and flowing traces. Used Rag, Crab. Mussel and Squid.

Ended up with 12 Cod and a Coalie. The fish came in bursts and there seemed to be no pattern in the feeding.

We were going to try drifting with lures but we had too many sausages and burgers to cook and our arms were still giving us jip off the previous day!!

Just a couple of points of note and sorry if this sounds like I'm moaning but safety is important.

We had one boat trying to lay down anchor 50 yrds from us and he would have drifting staright back onto us unless we shouted at him to move on. Secondly one other boat on the drift came awfully close to hitting us, (within 6ft) and went straight over the anchor rope.....while I don't profess to be an expert when it comes to boating this is basic safety.

And a final word for the skipper of the Volante Dave Bolam. Dave pulled a 71yr old gentlemen out of the marina in Sunderland along with a few friends saving the guys life as he was in some distress. Thank fully he's recovering. This got Dave prime spot on Page 1 of the Sunderland Echo on Saturday. Rebecca Loo's will be giving interviews on Dave in the very near future!!

Thanks,
    Jeff.

FAO Charlton
    Three of us fished from private boat "Volante" out of Sunderland, skippered by Dave Bolam. The catch over the weekend was as follows-:

24th
    1 x Cod 8lbs - Jeff Sill
    1 x Cod 7.5lbs - Dave Bolam
    1 x Ling 6lbs - Tony Brown

Fished wrecks 19 miles off coast.

25th
    8 x Cod to 6.5lbs - Dave Bolam
    3 x Cod to 3lbs - Jeff Sill
    1x Cod and 1 x Coalie to 3lbs - Tony Brown

Hard Ground off St. Mary's

Thanks and have a great day!!

[Edited on 28/4/2004 by jeff]

DaveMason

Old Timer

posted on 29/4/2004 at 20:18
    Good reading Jeff , I did much the same ready for the kick off . had a bit of trouble with the fishfinder ( Which came with the boat - Hummingbird , don't buy one by the way ) it did not like 60m plus and acted up all day .

Well done Dave by the way .

jeff

posted on 30/4/2004 at 06:27
    Dave,

The Volante skipper Dave is a bit of a gadget freak....he has spent a fortune on electronics for the boat!! I beleive the fishfinder is a Simrad 40(?). he also has a spare. It hasn't let us down yet, (shouldn't have said that should I...)

You said in one of your reports that you were quite a way off....off where, straight out of the Tyne? We found that we fished from Seaham up as far as St Mary's sticking around the 19 mile mark and the water was clearer the further you got North. We do plan to fish further out than this, (I beleive we have some marks at 40miles) but will be making double sure of the weather forecasts and of course that the wrecks are fishing a little better than at present.

Davyred

Old Timer

posted on 30/4/2004 at 08:01
    Jeff, I've went and lost Daves mobile number, could you email it to me - davyred@ntlworld.com. Now that I've got a job sorted out, I'm looking to get out with him soon.

blackvelvet

posted on 30/4/2004 at 09:35
    Good god how far do you lot go 19miles off shore i would still be on my way out when you lot had a days fishing and on your way back lol lol you might as well fish the fiords
    I fished for around two hours last Sunday 85-90feet no less and had 12 cod around the 3 lb mark. Blackvelvet

jeff

posted on 30/4/2004 at 13:29
    DavyRed....check your e-mails.

Hi BlackVelvet...

Sounds like you had a good catch...it isn't always about the distance you travel!!

Fjords eh...... That would be nice.

The furthest we got last year was 26 miles from shore. Picked some good fish up as well....mainly Ling.

The Skippers boat is a Hardy 24 and a bit nifty, (cruises around 24 knots). He is a Diesel Engineer by trade and subsequently nows how to get the best out of his kit!!

Heres hoping we get out this weekend. Things look a bit touch and go so if we do go it will be inshore hard ground I think.

Have a great weekend.

Jeff.

[Edited on 30/4/2004 by jeff]

boblydon

Old Timer

posted on 30/4/2004 at 16:42
    gadget freak !! a man after my own heart...all big boys toys and i love them...shame i dont know how to use them,but they look pretty impresive....ha ha
    Cheers Alan...
Working...
X