• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: hellraiser report dunbar 31/05/04 by Les

Subject: hellraiser report dunbar
    Les

posted on 31/5/2004 at 11:20
    Hi all,

After a couple of will we, won't we, wait for the weather reports days i made the decision to head to skateraw for a few hours on sunday figuring an early start would give us maximum time on the water and still get home early.

We launched at 7am and headed to a mark we call "tony's hole" this is where my mate tony had a 10lb cod last year, there was very little drift here but the codling and wrasse were feeding well, i was catching a codling a chuck on an orange shad and firetail jelly worm, stevie and liam were "plagued" with wrasse while using lugworm and mussel.

after a short while the fishing here went off so we headed down to try for pollack near to fast castle a few miles south, here in 20-30 feet of water i set my son up with a spinning rod with a 40 gram copper koster, first cast he got not a pollack but a beautiful bright red rock cod about 4lb, this was returned as they are usually full of worms, a couple of casts later he had another about the same size, stevie had a nice pollack of about 5lb and a superb fight with it too, liam changed to a jelly worm and had his own pollack of about 4lb, i was too busy watching the sea and sounder for big lumps of rock close to the surface to fish.

the fishing was still slow though so we bombed up the the river garry wreck to try to bag up on codling but there was a creel float right on top of it stopping us getting a decent drift, after a couple of codling we headed to tony's hole again and added a few more codling, wrasse, a ling and a shortspined sea scorpion to the total, strangely the fish weren't interested in artificials by this time and lug/mussel was all they would look at.

one thing i have noticed over the last couple of trips is that most on the codling are out the same mould, around 2lb with the odd 3-4lb fish thrown in, usually at this time of year i would expect a few 5lb+ fish and the odd 7-8lb fish, now i'm not complaining as 2lbers are an great size for eating, it would be nice to get a few that put a proper bend in even a light rod

never the less a nice day out and we got back to the beach just as the seabreeze was kicking in and just as i ran out of petrol on my 1st tank...perfect timing.....lol

fed the family with fresh codling last night.....mmmmm!!

total for the day, around 50 codling, 10-12 wrasse, 2 pollack, several coalies,1 ling and 1 scorpion

les