• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: Rough Ground Ling 1/8/2006 By Geoff Jubb

Subject: Rough Ground Ling
    Geoff_Jubb

posted on 1/8/2006 at 21:38
    I went on my first proper fishing trip on Saturday aboard Delta Barbara out of the Wear.
    On the way out i was saying to one of the lads that my biggest fish was a 13lb carp, and that considering I did so much sea fishing (and spend so much money doing it) that it should really be heavier than that.
    We started on a wreck, and I had nothing so I wasn't feeling optomistic as we headed for an afternoon on the rough ground. I thought I had missed my chance.
    Then I got a 5lb codling on the rough ground, which is my biggest cod for ages, and that put me in the running for the sweep. I was well pleased with myself.
    I had been jigging non stop all day, when I stopped jigging for a second to get something out of my box and the rod pulled back!
    It was a 16lb Ling. This is my biggest fish ever and won me the sweep! I was chuffed to pieces.
    I know they grow much bigger but I've been trying for a half decent fish for ages.
    I later lost a second codling of a simlar size on the surface and a bloke next to me said "Unlucky mate, I bet your gutted."
    But to be honest I wan't all that bothered!
    I've been out and bought a new reel and have booked up again, and can't wait to go.
    Anyone want to buy a beachcaster?

Stuey

posted on 1/8/2006 at 21:58
    Hope your not thinking of selling that Ron Thompson Axcellerator I sold you Geoff!!! Well done on the Ling, looking forward to getting out myself.

cheers

Stu

[Edited on 1/8/2006 by Stuey]

Geoff_Jubb

posted on 2/8/2006 at 18:31
    Cheers Stuey,
    I'm only joking about the beachcasters, my missus wishes I'd sell them!

Mogthemackem

posted on 3/8/2006 at 11:26
    Well done mate. Been out on a boat a few times this summer and although I've caught plenty of cod and other species still have never caught a ling, even though they've been getting caught on the boat all around me

fishfinder

Super Moderator

posted on 3/8/2006 at 15:39
    Well done geoff excellent fish mate

Geoff_Jubb

posted on 3/8/2006 at 21:07
    Thanks very much mate.
    Mog, have you tried pirks (or jiggers) with mackeral on them. Thats what i got mine on and the other lings caught in the boat were caught on mackeral baited feathers. I think they definatly like mackeral.

Davyred

Old Timer

posted on 4/8/2006 at 16:13
    Well done Geoff

X