Amble 27 May 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble 27 May 2020

The intention had been to re-visit some of the wrecks that we had been to the previous day, but as we turned up at the marina, all the boats that had gone out at first light were all returning with the same story. The wind, that had been forecast to be light had turned into a gusty northerly so most had taken the decision to head back. That settled it, so we set to about cleaning up, sorting out the tackle and so on. By about 3pm, the wind had eased considerably, so we decided to stick our noses out past the piers and see what conditions were like.

In fact, it was not that bad. Maybe the morning guys had encountered wind over tide conditions and now the tide was flooding it was not that uncomfortable. We couldn't spend too long out, so we fished just south of Coquet island in the shallow, kelpy parts around Bondibush and Hauxley. Oli was using a small lure which soon picked out a handful of small codling to 2lb. I stuck with yellow and red rubber eels and I had dozens and dozens of coleys, the best of which we weighed at 2.5lb. It was like a little torpedo in 16 feet of water, stripping line of the spool! Oli fancied some of that, and tried some pink and blue eels, and while he got nothing, I kept catching, with the bigger fish giving me a merry dance.

After 2 hours we had to get back, but it was good sport, and if the weather holds for Friday we may try those wrecks again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coquet Island 20200527_160041.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1584363
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Coley 20200527_170551.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1584362

Enjoying the reports and cant wait until the charters start again. I often fish Warkworth pier and haven't had a single coley for years. As a kid back in the eighties there were loads just down the side of the pier, now all I seem to get are undersize flatties. Its is good to see there are still some about.
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Great sized coalies and good sport.

Graham.

Comment

Working...
      X