Amble 15/08/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble 15/08/20

We were in 2 minds whether to bother or not today as the tides were very small and the forecast was for easterlies and with poor visibility thrown in for good measure. That said, we hadn't been out for several weeks, so it was a chance to take the boat out anyway. And we were so glad we did decide to go out. Not for the fishing, which was just mediocre, but for all the dolphins we saw that day.

We set off from Amble marina at 11.30 and were just off Coquet Island, figuring out what the drifts would be when the first pod of dolphins showed up. Numbering around a dozen animals they were petty close in. Later on we saw a couple of smaller pods, then a pair of porpoises and finally a pod of about 6 animals, barely a mile off Cresswell that came right up to the boat, barely 10 foot away to eyeball us, swam round the boat for a bit, even swimming under the boat before finally heading off. Oli, my son got it all on video too, and if he uploads that video I'll send over the link.

Back to the fishing. We figured that conditions were good for ling, with little or no current so headed out into the mist to go over some wrecks. The fishing was not prolific, but Oli wanted to try out some lures that he has been making to see if they work. And they did the trick. He has just put up a batch for sale online btw.

We had a go at five wrecks. Some were stuffed with mackerel, others with a few small codling. I had some small pout and we both had pollock on lures, his best being just over 4lb on his homemade lure, and that we tried to release but the swim bladder had gone completely and we couldn't even pop it.

Conditions were great for ling, glassy smooth, and with a slow drift of 0.2-0.4 knots. Water visibility was excellent, and even inshore you could probably see down by about 15-20 feet. Water temp was 15 degrees. Sadly, no ling around. Maybe the next couple of days, with a building tide might be better.

We then headed in to Cresswell skeers, which we've not fished so far this year. I had some smelly blown rag that weaseled out 4 wrasse, but all the codling were tiddlers of a pound or less. Plenty of mackerel around, and loads of baitfish on the screen as well as all the bird activity and dolphins suggests that this could be a good week to fish, before the gales arrive next weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pollock IMG-0128.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1585189Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelpie on homemade lure IMG-0140.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1585190Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrasse IMG-0138.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1585191

Name:	Wrasse IMG-0142.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1585192

Name:	Codling on homemade lure IMG-0141.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1585193

Nice report , it looked a great day to be out. I haven't caught a wrasse in a long time. When not fishing I am usually walking my 2 German Shepherds along the beach at Warkworth to the pier and so many people have asked if I have seen any Dolphins? There is so much interest at the moment. Hundreds of jellyfish around if anyone is interested in them
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Working...
    X