A good day out 7/11/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good day out 7/11/20

It's hard to believe, but this is the first trip since mid September. Every weekend has been blighted by strong winds.

Oli and I set out from Amble at around 09.30, following a veritable armada of angling boats. A few had been out the previous day, and reported masses of fish, so we had high hopes. We were not disappointed. We didn't venture far, with limited daylight hours, but didn't have to anyway. We first stopped just off Hauxley, and every drop brought up a fish. Most were in the 1lb bracket, but there were a few larger specimens.

After an hour or so, we headed down to Brownhill, where most of the other boats had congregated. The tides were favourable, giving a nice leisurely 0.7-0.8 knot drift. Water clarity was good too, after a couple of days of southerlies. Like most of the boats, I stuck to frozen prawns, while Oli persevered with his homemade lures. My best fish was a codling of 5.5lb, but Oli took the prize with one of 6.5lb, which went back to fight another day.

All in all, I took close to 50 fish, almost entirely codling, with about 10 keepers, plus a couple of coleys and pollack. Oli had a further 30 fish.

We were back in the marina around 15.30, having kept 5 fish for the table. Let's hope we don't have to wait as long for the next trip
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Oli 6.5lb IMG-0486.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1585902Click image for larger version

Name:	5.5lb IMG-0451.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1585903Click image for larger version

Name:	oli lure IMG-0481.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1585904Click image for larger version

Name:	Codling 20201107_111708.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1585905Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterfish IMG-0492.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1585906

Great write up and some crackin codling too.

Comment

Great report, encouraging to hear that there’s plenty of fish about

Comment

Well done to the pair of you, grabbing the chance when you get it at this time of year. We were out yesterday but didn’t fish; the boats we locked back in with hadn’t caught much.
        Oli’s lures look the business.

Comment

Great to see a report, some nice fish there. Nice to see Hauxley mentioned, hope to fish around there this weekend
          PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Working...
          X