Amble 28/11/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble 28/11/20

Oli and I took advantage of a calm day to have a couple of hours out on the water. The weather was incredibly good for the end of November. In fact, it would have been nice if it had been this calm at any point during the summer. Mind you, we had to de-ice before leaving the marina!

We didn't go far because of the short daylight hours, ending up at Northern Hill where we had found so many fish just a fortnight previously. However, this time the fishing was slow. They were moderate tides, but there was no drift, always less than 0.5 knots and often 0.1-0.2 knots which may explain it. Even around the skeers we found ourselves almost stationary. I took 10 small codling, the best being around 2.5lb, and Oli had the same number.

There were about 7-8 boats out from Amble, all clustered around the same marks, and chatting to some of them back in the marina later they had had similar results, or some even fewer fish than us. What we had seen was a big increase in the amount of bird activity, and seeing big shoals of tiny herring on the screens, some of which came up to the surface in front of us made us think that perhaps the cod were all focused on nothing else but these. Conditions were otherwise great - 10 degrees water temperature and visibility never less than 5 feet and sometimes 8-9 feet, even close in.

In spite of the poor fishing, it was a lovely day to be out on the water, and I've just added some photos of what it was like. Oh yeah, and a photo of a large velvet swimming crab that neatly sliced off the tail of one of Oli's homemade lures, much to his annoyance. A particularly malevolent-looking creature, I've entitled the photo "Call me Mister Crab" !

Tight lines to everyone!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Costa del Coquet 28 Nov 2020.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1586108Click image for larger version

Name:	Northumberland 28 Nov 2020 IMG-0695.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1586109Click image for larger version

Name:	Northumberland 28 Nov 2020 IMG-0671.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1586110Click image for larger version

Name:	Codling Northumberland 28 Nov 2020 IMG-0699.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1586111Click image for larger version

Name:	Call me MISTER CRAB 28 Nov 2020.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1586112

Great report and stunning pics, thanks.

Comment

10 fish is just enough to keep you occupied and optimistic for the next trip. I like the pictures, it looks calm enough to be a summer’s day but the cold, pale skies give the game away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
        10 fish is just enough to keep you occupied and optimistic for the next trip. I like the pictures, it looks calm enough to be a summer’s day but the cold, pale skies give the game away.
        Aye Kev, you just have to grab the opportunities when they turn up at this time of year. No telling when the next trip will be. But it's unlikely to be as picturesque - you could even be forgiven for thinking it was Costa del Coquet looking at that photo!

Comment

thanks for report,enjoyed the read.
          pleased theres still a {few} members still interested on NESA.
          PS,nice photos.

Comment

Cracking photos of a stunning day.

Graham.

Comment

Nice to see you around Graham. How are you getting on with that new boat of yours?

Cheers
              Adrian

Comment

Hiya Adrian, the chance to use it would be great! I just put a post on but am stuck away at work again.
                I was meant to be off the ship three weeks ago but its looking like early February now.
                After the engines initial service it will be a first flat out run which I am lookng forward to.
                Don't catch too many!

Graham.

Comment

Working...
                X