Bait digging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait digging

This is very much on the agenda next year, I have been harping on about it for years, well it will be a reality next year as DEFRA and NE are driving this, all IFCA's are having to look at this in 2017.

Marine Worms Are The $7.5 Billion Industry You Haven

Originally posted by loopy View Post
    This is very much on the agenda next year, I have been harping on about it for years, well it will be a reality next year as DEFRA and NE are driving this, all IFCA's are having to look at this in 2017.

Marine Worms Are The $7.5 Billion Industry You Haven
    Couple of questions Les.

When you say that DEFRA and NE are driving this do you mean they are actively pursuing legislation to limit worm collection or do you mean they want the NIFCAs to survey the area to produce a base line so as to be able to monitor in the future?

The figure quoted, 7.5 billion, does that include an attempt to measure the value of all RSA digs, which obviously have no monetary value as they're not for sale.

Interesting that both this document and the one AC highlighted about the crab survey in Devon promotes the plight of our feathered friends. They won't be happy until they turn us all into beach litter pickers, with a license, of course.

Comment

Dave the answer to your 1st part is yes but it is driven once again by the Marine and Coastal Access Act, it has just taken time and the bait digging bit should have been done by the end of this year but has been postponed until 2017. Many IFCA's including Northumberland have been doing survey work for some time and NIFCA also awaits a PHD study from Newcastle University.

I as an angler sat on the first National steering group meeting a few months ago hosted by Natural England in Peterborough. I feel confident that Northumberland will be well represented.
      I have met the author of this report twice now and he seems a practical guy. I have given them some things to think about such as what is the science behind why we should backfill (there is none) and why did he not count birds returning after the diggers left the site for balanced data !
      I will not go into detail on a public forum as I wish to remain part of the process for the sake of RSA.
      I have called for a mass public consultation meeting of RSA in Northumberland with NIFCA, local clubs AT and anglers. Watch this space. I am happy to talk via pm or give me a ring Dave.

I would guess non commercial RSA have been included, but DEFRA ,NE and IFCCA'S on legal advice have not distinguished on a formal legal basis between RSA and commercial due in main to the black economy, this is perceived as large, much evidence has been gathered from forums and FB. This distinction is paramount in my opinion as it is born out of the judgement of Anderson V Alnwick that RSA collection is ancillary to the right to fish.
      I do not believe this will have any legs on a national level for management legislation but will be different for each IFCA area and pressure will come to bear from upon high. Devon peeler could be going up in price !
      Last edited by loopy; 21-12-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Les,

I'd like to come along to one of the proposed consultations....Will talk soon re: the details of what was discussed...
        "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

I would love to know what determines a RSA....... I don't fish for recreation or fun, I fish for the table, Who represents me....??

Comment

The answer is if you sell your fish you are a commercial fisherman if not you are recreational whether you chose to eat them or put them back. Who represents you I have no idea, if you do not belong to the Angling Trust the simple answer is no one but yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X