Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size worm hooks?

Afternoon lads. Just a quick one today.

What size worm hooks do you lads use for fishing with jelly worms?
    All the gear, no idea.

imo I find the worm hooks are "smaller" than size stated. Apart from lrf jig heads I use 1/0 asuri for lrf/drop shot rigs and these are pretty tiny compared to a say for example a sakuma or Aberdeen 1/0. . For the rest of the fish I target I use mustad 2/0 which does the job for me hope that helps

Comment

depends on the worm mate, i use anything form 1/0 to 4/0
      Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
      http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
      http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Thanks spongebob. I've been looking at the mustad 2/0 and 4/0.

And Phil. I thing they are 6 inches long the worms I've got.
        All the gear, no idea.

Comment

I agree 1/0 to 5/0 for me dependant on the Lure size and type. 6 inches would be mid to top of that range for me.
          Regards
          Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

1/0 - 2/0 for me mate, not many fish in our neck of the woods that you can't get in with a 2/0 hook so tend not to go bigger
            "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
            PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Juliogeordio View Post
              1/0 - 2/0 for me mate, not many fish in our neck of the woods that you can't get in with a 2/0 hook so tend not to go bigger
              That was what I was thinking mate. What sort of size gob has a pollack got compared to a cod? I've never seen a good size pollack so don't know.

I'm hoping to put that right with my lures this year though.
              All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Big old mouths aswell mate... Can easily swallow a 5/0 hook no problems. I tend to fish a bit smaller though as I feel I hook the smaller ones that also hammer the bait a little easier but the bigger fish will still be dragged in on a 2/0. I've no doubt though even a 1lb pollock could be taken on a 5/0 hook due to the aggressive way they take.

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

I've even had a 4-5" whiting on a 5/0 Pennel this winter so I guess there is nowt I worry about haha

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

It's not just about the size of fish in our area, Cod, Pollack, Coleys and Bass over a lb or 2 will easily take a 5/0 hook. It's no good sticking to a 1/0 or 2/0 if the gape of the hook doesn't allow the lure to move and the hook to be cleanly taken. It's a matter of getting the right balance, don't limit yourself to certain hook sizes but also make sure it's appropriate for the lure size and target species, many lures come with a recommended hook size.
                    Regards
                    Si

Comment

Originally posted by Juliogeordio View Post
                      I've even had a 4-5" whiting on a 5/0 Pennel this winter so I guess there is nowt I worry about haha
                      You must having been typing at the same time as me mate!
                      Regards
                      Si

Comment

Haha, yes mate.!totally agree, get a hook that will sit well in the worm and make it look as natural of a bait as possible

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Thanks again.

I'm not bothered about going for big fish yet. I'll be happy with 1lb whilst I'm playing while I get the hang of it. I bet they are still fun on the little rods.
                          All the gear, no idea.

Comment

I know it's not lure fishing but a hook through a large live sandeel bagged me 3 3-4lb pollock on shields pier last year mate... It may be worth trying rubber eels or those Berkeley slug things in and around the rough stuff for a nice pollock or two

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Something like that would do me champion mate. It would be my personal best fish ha ha.
                              All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X