Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Lure Fishing

Afternoon lads,

After not having the time to get properly into lure fishing last year, I have sworn to myself that I'm going to attempt to get a bass on a lure this calendar year.

I'm after some guidance on a choice of reel, I've already decided on a Sakura Shinjin neo 15g-50g rod and would appreciate some advice and suggestions reel wise. Preferably something around the £150 mark but I'd probably go to £200 if need be. Obviously any other rod suggestions are more than welcome...

Any suggestions on lures and braid would be good also. preferably one or two for surface and sub surface. I think initially I'd buy around half a dozen so I have a little bit of a selcetion.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alright mate. This year is gonna be my first one properly trying for bass same as you. This page is canny for looking at plugs. Henry Gilbey - Fishing Tackle - Sub-surface hard lures

That rod you mentioned must be nice for that sort of money but may be a bit heavy. Most lures I've seen are between 14-26g. I've just bought a spool of berkley whiplash crystal was down to £23 a spool in fishing republic. I'll probably get 3 spools out of it with some backing line on.

Hope this helps.
    All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Have a look at the shimano rarenium for the reel. Not an original suggestion, but they are generally regarded as one of the better spinning reels in that price range.

Comment

Cheers lads, I think I will take a look at the Rarenium, presumably the 4000 size?

Any tips re braid choice? Do you lads use a length of fluro also? if so what would you recommend?

Comment

I am using ygk g-soul x 8 upgrade with ygk nitlon dfc fluro leader, couple of the lads I fish with prefer seagur ace hard fluro carbon

Comment

Originally posted by dave craig View Post
            Cheers lads, I think I will take a look at the Rarenium, presumably the 4000 size?

Any tips re braid choice? Do you lads use a length of fluro also? if so what would you recommend?

If you are going with the heavier rod then yeah the 4000 is probably the size you want. I fish a little lighter so got the 2500. As for braid another vote for the g-soul, although I use the cheaper 4-strand.

Comment

Is 15g-50g over kill? I've noticed a lot of lures are quite light, would a lighter rated rod and 3000 size reel be better?

Generally what sort of breaking strain braid are people going for? 20lb/25lb?

When do you lads start out your bass hunting? May/June

Comment

A bit lighter rod would be better (10/30) is a decent alround weight
                Last edited by sammy talbot; 24-03-2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

20lb upgrade with a Rarenium 4000 ona 9ft rod

Comment

lure kit

I use a hart poizon 10' mh and a 5000 aernos 30lb braid 20lb flouro .And a cheap chuck away okuma lure mania 8' paired with a ACE40re again 30lb braid 20lb flouro not sure if these have caught me anything but the lures have payos are good and ebays worth a ratch ima's patchinkos ect loads to pick from ?
                    GRAUVELL OYSTER 15'
                    OKUMA DISTANCE SURF
                    DAIWA TORNEY X
                    PENN 535
                    GREYS ORION 13'
                    SLOSH 30
                    GREYS BZe BASS 12'6"
                    PENN 525
                    HART POIZON
                    SPECIES 2014FLOUNDER,DAB,COD,WHITING,BALLAN WRASSE,BASS,POLLOCK,LSD,LOBSTER

Comment

Cheers,

So, I'm stuck between either a Sakura Shinjin 8'6'' 15g - 50g or a Major Craft Skyroad 8' 6'' 10g - 30g with either a 3000 or 4000 Rarenium.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

I've heard the tip rings on the Major Craft are very small.....?

Comment

id go for a Graphiteleader Argento RV over a major craft.
                        GOARS-932ML-PE | OLYMPIC co.,ltd. | Fishing | Golf
                        thats the 1 iv got and its a very nice rod.

Its got small eyes so i use number2 jb clips from mrfish.

Comment

Yamaga Blanks Early 92XMLRF
                          alot of ppl like them aswell

Comment

Have a look at the Daiwa Morethan range too mate

Comment

alot of ppl like them aswell[/QUOTE]

Shame there is none in this country and art of fishing ain't got clue when he is restocking , advised me to order from Japan , adventure angling is taking pre orders for the 2015 model but when I emailed them about expected dates the reply was April or may , and the Japanese don't seem to have a big supply none of the popular stores have them in stock

Comment

Working...
                              X