Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lures, rods and reels advice for a begginer

Hi Everyone,

I am new to lure fishing and just wanted to know what assortment of lures people would advise buying for fishing off the coast. I am not too bothered about what I catch. I have heard good things about Zens (cheap and cheerful) and poppers. Not really sure what sizes or weights to choose though! Looked at spending about £20-25 on a selection

I was also looking at rods and reels and found that Glasgow angling sold a Shimano Alivio DX spinning rod and Okuma Trio SRS reel for £60. Would anyone recommend this or an alternative?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Tim

Where are you planning on fishing? And it depends what you want. I like fishing with light tackle so I have a 8ft 10-40g and 9ft 10-30g rod. And 3 and 4 thousand size reels.

Dont know much about that set up mate but you need to match your lures to the casting weight of your rod. My favourite is the 23g savage gear sand eel. And some of the Hansen spinners in nets. We had pollock leaping out of the water after the sg sand eels last year up the Mog.

Have a look at the savage gear bushwhacker rods. You won't find better for the money.
    All the gear, no idea.

Comment

I was hoping to fish anywhere from Tynemouth to Amble. I like the idea of fishing with lighter gear so will check out some of the lighter rods, I wanted to start with something a little cheaper and then if I find it's something I want to do will probably then make the plunge to something like a bushwacker!

Would you suggest 20lb braid and then a lighter fluorocarbon leader?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I use 25lb 4 strand and cheap 28lb leader. It's up to you though. Some like stronger and some lads go down to 12lb.

I always try and fish my lures through kelp. You'll be surprised what ya can pull through if your knots are good and you wrap your braid round something to pull really hard rather than use the rod.

Weedless hooks and jig heads will save you money as well.
        All the gear, no idea.

Comment

If it's for bass a 9ft6" rod casting around 5 to 28g will be perfect, anything close will be fine. You can fish weedless weightless softies at the low end and will cast a big patchinko lure too. A 2500 size Diawa or 4000 size Shimano reel with 20lb braid will balance well. Use a flouro leader of about 20lb too.

Comment

If your using surface lures 9ft would be bit to big...perfect length rod would be around 7ft perfect for poping and walking the dog
            CENTURY ELIMINATOR T1200 SGT
            Abu 6500 c3 ct mag
            abu 7000i ct mag

Comment

I use a 9ft 5" for wtd lures no problem at all. Don't fill the lads head with nonsense

Comment

I use a 9' Skyroad and 9.5' Shore Game and both are good for surface work.

For £60 I would go for the Shimano Exage over the Okuma reel.

Comment

Originally posted by pulp View Post
                  I use a 9ft 5" for wtd lures no problem at all. Don't fill the lads head with nonsense
                  Lol nonsense 😂😂😂 its my opinion 😉
                  CENTURY ELIMINATOR T1200 SGT
                  Abu 6500 c3 ct mag
                  abu 7000i ct mag

Comment

I posted a fact rather then an opinion.
                    Each to their own.
                    Tim, I'd also second Graham's comment and recommend the exage over the trio.
                    Last edited by pulp; 18-06-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X