No announcement yet.

Braid line .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't keep up with all the comments a try to reply missing some comments in the post due to poor internet . Yeh m8 thing av bought the best set up , that all the lads have posted regarding reel, rod , braid , so can't wait to empty the shore line when am home ha .

Comment

Couldn't agree more with the spiderwire and j braid for spinning

surprised there's been no power pro lads...although personally for several reasons I don't rate it despite the wide support

As a side note, I use the cheap Chinese stuff on the boat 70-80lb and it's spot on. Seen plenty others use 60lb - 90lb on the boat and never heard anyone complain. Excellent value
      Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
      CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

do you use a mono leader when spinning with braid? I know I do on the boat to give me a fighting chance over wrecks. I was wondering if you need mono when spinning over rough ground
        •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
        :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
        LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
        CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
        THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
        COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
        CARP 30LB CANADA
        PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Originally posted by alcaucin View Post
          do you use a mono leader when spinning with braid? I know I do on the boat to give me a fighting chance over wrecks. I was wondering if you need mono when spinning over rough ground
          For me, it depends on the ground, but usually yes because I'll be spinning in and amongst the rocks. After maybe 20 chucks the mono has nicks and cuts all along the bottom 6 feet+
          Using a braid amongst the rough stuff, you might well lose it after the first few chucks!
          A couple year back I witnessed my brother spinning (full mono line only) and he reeled in a lovely 6-7lb Pollock. Not 3 seconds after he safely landed it in a rock pool, his mono snapped 2 feet above the lure knot.

Always cut your bottom couple feet off after a couple dozen chucks, or at least check it, when you're spinning in the rough stuff. If you lose a nice fish because of it, you'll never forget!!

As for the boat, I've never used a mono leader with braid. Don't think I've seen anyone use one either but I'll maybe give it a bash.
          Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
          CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

i always use a mono leader , especially over wrecks. As for spinning , I normally have mono right through. Whats the advantage of braid when spinning?
            Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
            COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
            CARP 30LB CANADA
            PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Braid when spinning gives you an instant connection to your lures... Exactly the same way as when on a boat. You can feel all the features on the seabed and when a fish is taking an interest. You can react quicker to what's going on which can save you from loosing fish and lures! Plus the fact your in direct contact with the fish makes the fight a lot more fun.

I use a mono rubbing leader on my spinning rod mainly so if it gets roughed up then it's cheaper to chuck away. I disagree slightly with Liam (sorry mate!) though in that some of my leaders can last me easily 2 or 3 sessions and dozens and dozens of casts no problem without any major issues and I often deep spin with Jellys etc. I don't find the mono roughs up more than the braid just that it's cheaper to replace lol.
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

I would assume you need the low diameter mono or do you just go for cheap stuff. if you use L.D isn't that as expensive as braid. When I was spinning for bass I used to have my mainline to a snap connector and a long mono trace with a 3"eddison eel (blue /silver)a sliding bullet lead on the mainline,

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                CARP 30LB CANADA
                PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

I tend to stick with a mono leader that is slightly less in breaking strain than the braid. It will tend to be a thicker diameter even though a lighter breaking strain and great as a rubbing leader as it's cheap to chuck away when it gets nicks in as Liam says. That way if you do get snagged up, the mono will snap and you don't loose any of the expensive braid. That's how I do it anyway, I'm sure others will disagree! Lol.
                  "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                  PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

sorry.

im old fashioned,but ANY line will do the job.
                    35lb sylcast,should do the job..

Comment

Working...
                    X