What Is This Fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striking colours ,I'm always amazed.
    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

yes Lumpsucker, I remember there was loads of them caught in the mid 1970's when I was a kid and fishing amble pier with my dad. Seem to go through phases where they're as common as muck then you hardly see any for a lot of years.

I also remember another odd one for the area about 10yrs back, was a hell of a lot of Dragonets being caught off Blyth pier one summer, had only seen one once before in my life then one day hods of them.

Comment

Yer am abit late reading this thread but its a male lumpsucker in his breading colours. Caught 2 from shields pier last year going for coalie.
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

This time of year they come into shallow water to lay eggs. Both the male and female guard the eggs , usually attached under an overhanging rock. I found a pair of fish once in a large pool north side of of Cullercoats harbour on a big tide. (I was looking for plunders) The eggs were attached to a rock , creamy yellow and about the size of a rice crispie.

Comment

Agree with everything said, male lumpsucker, they're usually much smaller than the females. Like 5150 said I remember 80's there was one year where you couldn't get shifted for them. The beach at Boulmer was full of them and their eggs.
            If I remember rightly (was a kid at the time) it was a pretty rough summer with many a big sea. Think the same year there was a container ship lost its load of timber (telegraph poles)overboard and the kids of the village were told that if the wood was recovered there was a £1 bounty per pole. We managed to get a couple of dozen stashed below me house (the pub) but some fisherman twocked them for himself. The ****!
            "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Mystery over.

Comment

Working...
              X