South Shields pier tragedy 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Shields pier tragedy 1984

Can any of our older members recall ? its been on my mind lately. Fished with a older guy other day, no shock leader with a 6 on and a side caster … which
    brought my memories back. I was there that day on end of Pier, i'd just moved to the right and him and friends took my spot, was dark and poor lad got hit in head whilst on top step of pier. took me 10 yrs to pick a rod up again
    AFAW 6&B
    Shaky Agility
    Slosh 30
    mag 525 USA
    Daiwa sea hunter spinner rod
    Pb... codling, Macky ... all returned

was it not a lad called paul hurst ? they held a memorial fishing comp for him

Comment

Mag, Aye sure the lad was Paul Hurst, seen him a few times on the round end. He was mad keen, not sure but he was only 14-15, thought it was earlier than 84 but could be wrong. Was he from Gateshead?, very sad.
      17lb 10 oz cod (shore)Beadnell

Comment

I won the Paul Hurst memorial open in December 1983, so I guess it must have happened that year. Not sure if it was a one off competition or might have been held the next year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cod-ger View Post
          I won the Paul Hurst memorial open in December 1983, so I guess it must have happened that year. Not sure if it was a one off competition or might have been held the next year as well.

I'm thinking you are right on the year now. May be this was April give or take a month. I'll never forget the scene. I'm 52 now ex army but it still haunts me to this day. We were the same age 15 i think and sure he was from Jarrow.
          AFAW 6&B
          Shaky Agility
          Slosh 30
          mag 525 USA
          Daiwa sea hunter spinner rod
          Pb... codling, Macky ... all returned

Comment

I’ve heard this story many a time when fishing the round end. Never had any dates or actual facts put to it.
            One if the reasons I never touch the pier in summer etc. Chokka block and who knows what line and knots etc are being used to swing lumps of lead about.

I think it’s your right to have a word with someone if you feel unsafe with what they are doing.

You are the one in the firing line at the end of the day.

RIP the lad...
            GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

I heard this, RIP to the lad.
              this is partly the reason i fish alone and away from other anglers.
              or me just being a victor meldrew.

Comment

Working...
              X