Some old photos from Tynemouth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some old photos from Tynemouth...

I'm putting these up for Dave Hayley - just scanned some old photos from around Tynemouth and of some anglers...dates are unknown but may be a few old familiar faces lurking in one or two of the pics?

Tyne mouth Pier

Overlooking the fish quay & Middens

Overlooking Cullercoats Harbour

Bathing pool, Tynemouth Longsands

Fishing from the rocks at the bathing pool skeer

King Edward's Bay

Tyne mouth, Cullercoats & Brown's Bay (with the wreck lying over crab hill)

Presentation after the Tynemouth Open 1969

Gary
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

cracking find gary, would be nice if some of the gents could put names to faces.

Comment

phil Smithson and his dad are in the picture at the Tynemouth open at the ta hall ,he was over the moon when he saw it. davy.
      PB
      COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
      COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
      Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
      Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
      Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
      Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
      Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

I've just had a closer look at the presentation pic Davy - zoomed in a little - and I'm not sure, but think that could well be Terry Patterson in the top left hand corner ? (with beard & glasses, just behind the whited-out head to the left).

Gary

Comment

cracking pics gary is that the butetown on crab hill or the zepheros ??

Comment

Originally posted by D.D. View Post
            cracking pics gary is that the butetown on crab hill or the zepheros ??
            Not sure about that - unfortunately most of the pics are un-dated so not sure when that was taken, although in all my time fishing I don't remember that much of the wreck, so it must be a lot earlier than the late 70's...judging by the housing in many of the arial pictures I'd guess many were taken in the 50's or so. Maybe Davy might know more??

Gary

Comment

Just googled it I think it's the zepherous it broke anchor and ran aground in '47 in I big N/E sea there's 3 wrecks within casting distance on the hill the astley or part of it which is visible at the back at lw, the zepherous is at the eastern most point and and the ss butetown which is at the end of the underwater skeer/reef which runs out from crawleys, there's pics, info and plots on dive sites, interesting stuff if look it up
              Last edited by D.D.; 29-02-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I knew of a couple of those, but not sure which one is in the pic - it looks to be lying over the Hill just past the bit where you'd wade across (think I can make out the boiler more or less on top of the hill). I know of the one off the front from Crawleys (although not the names) and the one in the back, but not the one lying off the point itself. However 1947 could well be about right for the age of the picture, judging by the housing to be seen in many of the arial pics....or rather the lack of it, going by the green fields visible where now there are swathes of housing estates! I've got bookmarked somewhere the Brown's Bay dive site with some underwater pictures, I'll have to go back and have another read and see if it mentions anything more.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

Presuming that the first two fishing photos are of the BOTAC British All comers comp I've spent half the night trying to find a photo of me crouched on the big rock, at half tide, casting into the Stoney, in the middle of Tynemouth sands. The old man dumped me there when I was about 12 or 13 and went off to fish in the Lobster Pots (it might have been the year he got one over 10lb and just lost out on heaviest fish and bag). Anyway the Evening Chronicle man came along and took my photo which appeared in the paper in the week. I was "looking hopeful" - I thought......."looking desperate" as, as the tide ebbed I couldn't reach the sea with my cast and I relied on a couple of strangers to cast out for me.

**** hit the fan when the photo appeared and the old man, who was looking after me,was actually 800 yards away. The old dear was less than pleased. I kept my head down, pretending that one of the strangers on the beach was, in fact, a good friend and BOTAC club member, rather than some potential rubber wearing child molester.

Like all those in the photo, Gary, we caught nothing. Out of the 1000 plus who fished you could bet that less than 100 had a chance of winning. Thanks for posting.

Comment

the young lad in the third photo is fishing king eddies bay,would be nice to put names to photos,we have terry pattinson,phil Smithson and his dad up to now . davy.
                    PB
                    Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

at the weigh the man with the botac steward arm band is jimmy jamieson, could be don staddon next to him , chap doing the weighing was from council weights and measures dept.john

Comment

thanks for that john,don still comes up once a year to fish r/m. davy.
                        PB

Comment

Working...
                        X