This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improve Junior Club Membership

Any club member wishing to improve the junior section of their club or would like to develop a new junior section please contact me on darren.mcglen@ghof.org.uk or alternatively can ring me on 07940251059.

I am currently working in partnership with the Angling Trust trying to raise the profile of sea fishing and to help improve accessibility for young people within our club structures. This could include possible access to funding, support and/or coaching qualifications for existing club members in order to help them engage and train young people more successfully.

Hi mods, hoping it's ok to have this in this section. Is there any way you can make this a sticky?
    <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Just pushing this back up as it's agreat opportunity for anyone who is a member of a club who wants to see their club progress with junior membership

Comment

Sounds a great idea mate...The Seaham Club are all for a junior section, and have Jim Dobie on board, who is arranging days away etc with the kids.
      Sounds like a good job you got.

Comment

Junior's

Seem's like there's a few forward thinking clubs going down the same route.Intoducing and encouraging new blood into the angling world.Last meeting I attended the same topic was approached for club members to become trainded coaches,the working in partnership/s with the Angling Trust and other such organisations.Obvious there's alot more to this you need a band of club members willing and able to give up their time to start with.Then there's the Criminal Police checks to sort out,if your involved with children.
        I have worked with various childrens organisations in the past so I know it is rewarding but its also hard work.
        To the clubs that take up this challenge they could be looking at future members with fresh minds full of new ideas on how and which direction the club and the sport goes.
        Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

juniors

does any one know of any junior clubs in the south shields area?

Comment

Jeff, we have an honorary junior section at the South Shields club, that is all. Like other club,s possibly, not a lot of members want to get involved with juniors regarding the rules and regulations surrounding them. So we took advice from the CVS ( child volunteer service ) 3 years ago and decided to only have like I said an honorary junior section.

Comment

juniors

what do you mean by honorary?

Comment

This is what I'm hoping to achieve Jeff. If any clubs want a junior section and want to be involved in the training of them then I can help. There is a lot of rules and regulations but the feeling you get off starting a young person's fishing life off and helping them catch their first fish and seeing the happiness it brings is amazing. It takes a lot of time and dedication from involved parties but the people who give that committment get so much back. It's not for everyone but hopefully there will be people out there wanting to do it. The CRB checks should only be made on the people who are wanting to coach the children as that should be the only people they are with. There's a lot to discuss and sort out with clubs prior to this happening but it will be a lot easier than normal with myself and/or the Angling Trust getting involved in helping to sort it out

Comment

Honorary means that a junior may join our club without paying any fee till they are aged 18 years old. They are not allowed to take part in any winter league matches with us as they are a night-time match, but they are allowed to take part in our monthly competitions as long as their parent, representative or guardian is present with them at all times. As I have had meetings with Ben Thompson from the Angling Development Board I have been informed that there is no exception to this rule if you don,t have the correct people in charge at club level. We as a club have been informed by the ADB that on our committee we must have a Welfare Officer who would be in charge of all the rules and regulations regarding juniors, I can tell you this, no-one would take the job, and also we needed volunteers from within our club to act as stewards if we ever were to run a junior open competition, this I believe will fall on deaf ears as well, as there would be no interest from our members either. Like I said before, you do need quite a few volunteers from within any angling club to run a junior section.But it is usually only left to a couple.

Home
                  Last edited by weefus; 20-04-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X