X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: Isle of Whithorn posted on 7/8/2004

Subject: Isle of WhithornDavyred
    Old Timer

posted on 7/8/2004 at 14:00Been on holiday in a little village called Sorbie (Just outside Whithorn) for the week with the family. Fished most mornings....

Sunday (West of Burrow Head).....about 15 small polllack to floatfished and spun frozen sandeel, best about 2lb and bloody millions of mackerel!! Couldn't get to the Pollack for the mackerel!

Monday - Isle of Whithorn....struggled cos of the building sea, 1 pollack, no mackerel

Wednesday - Cairn Head....Mackeral and small pollack again, best about 2lb.

Thursday - Isle of Whithorn....took Emma my 6 year old for her 2nd ever trip (she got a 2lb wrasse here last year) 1st cast she got a 2.5lb Pollack!! I got nowt!!

Friday (am) - Cairn Head......2.5 - 3lb Wrasse on floatfished rag, what a scrap!!! A few more small pollack and the inevitable mackerel! Has anyone ever seen what mackerel do to a sandeel!! Theres practically nothing left after they've finished. Pollack on the other hand just swallow the things whole.

Friday (pm) - West of Burrow Head.... Mackerel again and small Pollack. Spent about 45 mins trying to get this Pollack (about 4-5lb) that was at my feet! It kept flying out of the kelp, sucking the sandeel in, then spitting the bugger back out! tried all sorts of ways to get it In the end, I let it be. To rub salt into the wounds, I threw about half a dozen eels in when I packed up....you can guess what happened next can't you!!! Yep, up he came and was practically taking them off the surface!

I was talking to a couple of the scottish lads on the Sunday when I fished the match at Burrow head. They were telling me only a few years ago you could regurlarly get Pollack up to 10lb off the front of the caravan park, but because of the holidaymakers not putting them back after they've caught them, the numbers have fallen drastically.

I went to Port Logan fish pond while I was up there. To anyone who hasn't been, its a natural pond that the local landowner used to keep his fresh fish in. Theres a few coalies in there up to about 4-5lb, but theres a massive Pollack in there, along with a huge Turbot which is literally like a bin lid! Other fish were Mullet, Plaice, Codling and Conger.
    The fish were coming to the surface to be fed by the keeper, and this young lad decides to stick his fingers in the water. One of the coalies took a fancy to it and had a right bite of his finger. Result, one screaming kid and a bloody finger!! Its well worth a visit if you're up that way.

All in all, a brilliant week. Fishing wise, I would have liked a few bigger Pollack, but the numbers of fish more than made up for it. Its lovely being able to pack a few floats and stuff, a couple of light rods and thats it!
Working...
X