Silver and Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver and Gold

Despite the fog / mist and a fairly heavy sea I ventured out last Saturday evening and fished a beach in Northumberland. Using some excellent fresh rag from Northumberland seafood centre I fished the tide from low to high. I was fishing on a fairly narrow spit of sand in a very rocky area and hoped the huge amount of lugworm casts might bring some fish in as it flooded.

Weed was a massive problem initially pulling my rod out of the stand and I was beginning to think what's the point? I put my waders on and tried casting while standing in the water and managed to cast just beyond the first breakers into relatively calm water. I found if I held my rod really high I was avoiding the majority of the weed rolling around in the breakers. Safety is paramount and I know this beach well, it is shallow and even bottomed, the surf was dying down and I stayed safe.

I was quickly rewarded with almost instant bites and over the next hour landed numerous flounders and small coalies, I was also surprised to catch a little codling, hence the gold in the title.

Close to high tide and getting darker around 10.00pm I got a different sort of bite. A very positive knock,knock,knock then nothing. I was already holding the rod and turned the reel just to put a tiny bit of tension on the line and found the line was very slack. I slowly reeled in about 30 yards of line when bang I knew I had a fish on and it started veering left and right. As it got nearer I saw a flash of silver and really hoped it didn't throw the hook. Thankfully I landed my first reasonable sized bass for many years. I was so chuffed I was jumping around like an idiot but luckily I had the beach to myself. Didn't bother weighing it as it wasn't really that big and certainly wasn't going to keep it so quickly released it and enjoyed seeing it shoot off back into the waves.

I fished until 11.15 and it was getting fully dark but managed to land 2 more bass and lost what I think may have another bass. All fish returned / escaped safely

It just goes to show how sometimes when conditions maybe don't seem right or you have a problem it can still turn out good.

Not been many catch reports on recently so I thought I would post my little adventure. Going back out this weekend so may be a part 2

Tight Lines

Jonny

PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

great result mate, well done

Comment

Very nice report, thanks, and nicely written. My son Oli has been targeting the bass from the shore in exactly the same kind of spot, where rock meets sand and probably not a million miles away from where you fished. He was using lures however and so covered quite a bit of ground, and he managed to pick up some bass of about the same size, but at dawn, not dusk. This was on Tuesday last week. Just shows that they are there.

Comment

the 2 of yous done well.enjoyed the read.

Comment

Good report, they are there if you have a mind to fish for them. Well done
          17lb 10 oz cod (shore)Beadnell

Comment

Working...
          X