Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya Bass!

Wrote this on Mark's profile but it is his partner Lynn

Today started out like any other fishing trip(well apart from the sun splitting the skies and no wind!). We started out early today, because even though high tide was 1630, we knew the Rest and be Thankful was closed and Western Ferries had been mobbed the last couple of days. We arrived for the 0900 ferry and already the car park was full and the queue was out in the road! Anyway we got on the 3rd ferry to arrive about 1020(Western had added sailings), so all was good. Best weather day since June.

We had time on our hands, so bought carry out coffees on the way and stopped at a lay-by we had not tried before, and chilled out taking in the sumptuous views.

Eventually we lazily headed off again( I love being driven) and slowly headed for Blairmore - Quelle surprise I hear you cry! Well I make no apologies for it, I love the place, it is heaven. We arrived and the cafe was shut, but a notice in the window said it opened 12 - 3pm. Thankfully the tables and chairs were out, so we had another chill.

You don't see many of telephone boxes these days, especially ones with a huge pole sticking out the top!

The pier was deserted, just the way we like it.

Today we were spinning for Mackerel - shock, horror, disbelief!

Mark however packed a bait rod too, as he visited Gourock Ironmongers for more ridiculously expensive ragworm. This time however the guy said he had kept them since Tuesday and they weren't in the best condition - they looked dead to me! The owner said no, "They are just inactive because they have been in the fridge." He must have seen the look of incredulity on my face and gave them to us for £3. I unlike last time, couldn't be bothered packing a bait rod, so it was just Mackerel for me today.

We trotted down the pier.

As you may remember from our report of a few weeks ago, the pier had been closed for repair work, which it badly needed and Mark had e-mailed the lady who owns it earlier in the week to see if it had reopened, as he had seen a photo on facebook. She told him the work was paused until the end of the month and we could use it at our own risk. You only have to tell us once!!

We were interested to see how it had progressed and the damaged railings had been replaced, as had the shed at the top of the pier, well not replaced, but new woodwork and roof. We had been shocked at the state of the pier last year and worried about its future.

Before and after.

So we were delighted with its, not quite finished, makeover.

So to the fishing. As I said just the two of us on the pier. Mark baited up his spare rod(the ragworm were dead, as I predicted!), cast out and then rigged his spinning rod. He caught a damn Mackerel first cast! Ok I thought, they are here, brilliant. Half an hour later, that was the only one we had. Worse was to come, as just then the "Chuckle Brothers" arrived, loaded down with Peroni! We came across the water to get away from these type of jokers! They seemed as if they were already drunk, which was weird, as they had rocked up in an Audi!!. They were loud and obnoxious and wanted to be our best pals. One tried to hug me, he got short shrift! "Awe you not hugging me because of the virus?*. No I'm not hugging you because you are a clown!! Actually I only said that in my head. Mark pulled in the bait rod and there was a large crab on it and the brothers asked if they could have it. Mark gave them it, in the hope it would shut them up. They rigged up, but didn't actually fish, just drank beer and then jumped in the water. I was fuming!

Thank God, they eventually swam to the shore and lay on the beach. Peace again.

Then the Mackerel came on and we had another seven or eight between us. Suddenly the day was looking up again.

I had trouble unhooking a Mackerel from my treble hook and was struggling, while Mark was into another one.

Out of the blue his bait rod fell off the bollard and nearly went over the side. He shouted to me to grab it, which I did. There was definitely a fish on, so he said, reel it in. I thought it was a Mackerel, as it was really fighting like one. "Not on Ragworm" said Mark, "Maybe a Sea Trout" he mused. By this time he had his Mackerel on the pier and I offered him the bait rod, but he said "No, you hooked it, you bring it in." So I did. It was quite a struggle on the light bait rod, but I kept at it and had it at the edge of the pier eventually. Mark looked at it in the water and said "Oh maybe it is a Sea Trout." I lifted it onto the pier and had no idea what it was.

Mark looked shocked - he said "It's a bass!!" Actually there were a couple of other words in there, but I will let that go. I was so surprised and delighted, as I have never caught a Bass before!

Neither has Mark!

A new species from the shore for me. At 60 years old, I was elated!

Now as you guys know, we are not exactly good or knowledgable about shore fishing, but we have never, in the ten years of our shore exploits, even seen a Bass being caught. Mark said he had never heard of one caught this far up the Clyde!

Given that it was his rod I felt a bit bad for him, but give him his due, he was so happy for me and gave me a big kiss and a hug. Then he tried to photograph it with his species card - eh no Mark, fun is fun, but to hell with nonsense!

We were a bit too excited to keep fishing and had a break. I drank in his adulation and I felt quite proud of myself(even if it was his rod!).

By the way we had no measuring tape, but Mark did a quick check, as he said his finger span was 9 inches, so he reckoned it was about 18 inches. We couldn't remember the legal size, but it looked big enough to eat and in the bag it went - no way was I chucking that fish back!

Anyway after about 15 minutes, suddenly the pier busied up. I think the locals must have heard I had caught a Bass! Or more likely the tide was high in an hour, so the Mackerel Bashers came out to play.

We had a quick chat and decided we had enough Mackerel and a Bass, so retired to the cafe, before it closed at 3pm.

We just made it! The locals were buzzing!

It was this size!

That lady over there caught it!

The Chuckle Brothers reappeared and asked if we were keeping it? Duh!!!

We beat a retreat to Strone Pub, which has reopened, for a quick drink and a wallow in my success!

I had some quiet contemplation!

Then it was time for home and the boat back to Gourock.

Just the best day ever!

PS We measured the Bass at home and it was a smidgeon over 17 inches. Checked online - a good half inch over legal size, so all is good.
    Last edited by kayos; 10-08-2020, 12:32 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

WELL thats the BEST report theres been on here,for a long time.
    welldone BOTH of yous.

Comment

Originally posted by regpude View Post
      WELL thats the BEST report theres been on here,for a long time.
      welldone BOTH of yous.
      Aye Reg, I just thought I'd put it up here for a wee change. Plenty of views, but no replies, other than yours. No wonder this site is finished!

Comment

brilliant report,pictures and a good spell of fishing too well done folks--Aye Mark,the site has seen better days,in fairness me and a few hundred other are partly to blame for that,and of course the dreaded anti social media
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

cracking read.lovely pics n a great days fishing

Comment

Great report and pictures Lynn. Mark must have been thrilled that you hooked a bass for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
              Great report and pictures Lynn. Mark must have been thrilled that you hooked a bass for him.
              He was ecstatic Kevin!

Comment

great read and pics
                have you got a cloth

Comment

Working...
                X