Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass

Spent a couple of hours last Saturday evening out fishing with a couple of friends roaming around Alnmouth to Boulmer. A fairly heavy swell made bite detection difficult and I was too late getting to tackle shop for fresh rag so had to make do with bluey and squid. My friend Ian managed to get some worm and boy did it make all the difference.

Tide had turned and was just starting to drop and I saw Ian struggling with what i thought might be a big ball of weed but then I saw his face and he was smiling, a few seconds later what I thought must be a decent codling started to appear out of the waves. I ran down to help bring it in and was shocked by the biggest Bass I have personally seen. 5lb 2 oz and 23" long he was ecstatic and we were slightly jealous.

He wanted to keep it so it was dispatched quickly and when gutted its stomach was full of strips of squid. I do honestly believe it had been munching on my baits at some point that night

I personally probably would have released it but I cannot blame him for keeping it, we keep very few fish and it would be a very nice meal for his family.

2 hook flattie / flapper rig with fresh ragworm did the business lobbed into the surf.

Jonny
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

That's a very nice fish Jonny. Not fair that you do the groundbaiting and your mate gets the prize though!

Comment

big welldone IAN.
      Bet it tasted nice.
      would of cost some money,to buy,1 that size in the supermarket..

Comment

Very nice bass fella.
        Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Working...
        X