Hard going, Amble 29 May 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard going, Amble 29 May 2021

Well, since nobody else has been posting, I figured I ought to start the ball rolling. My first trip of the year took place yesterday, and it was not quite the session I had in mind. For a start, the forecast was that the "mist" would quickly burn back. Wrong! If anything, the fog got thicker as the day progressed, and then the SE breeze picked up, and brought about a nasty chop. To cap it all the fish were not having any of it.

My son Oli and I left the marina at 09.30 and headed up to Seaton Point at a sedate 6-7 knots because visibility was so bad, and I didn't trust the radar to give an accurate picture ahead. We spent about 2 hours without a single bite between us, so plodded on up to Craster. At least there were fish around. Oli had the best of the day, a pollock of around 4lb (the picture doesn't do it justice). I managed 3 codling to about 3.5lb, and a further dozen coleys of about a pound, and loads of tiddlers, all in the kelp. Oli did better and had about a dozen codling and a similar number of coleys, with one or two up to 1.5lb on lures. It was hard work though. I stuck with a mixture of frozen prawns, hokkis and jelly eels, while Oli used his own lures. We stopped off again at Boulmer and Seaton on the way back in and we managed a few more, but after a while just said enough was enough and we were back at the marina by 18.00.

The sounders showed the water temp as 9.8 degrees, which is about 2 degrees lower than normal, so mackies are unlikely to show for a while. The water was badly discoloured too, and needs to settle if we are to have a chance of the fish returning. That said, there was plenty of bird activity, and plenty of baitfish on the screens. We also saw 2 small pods of dolphins heading south against the ebb, which was perhaps the highlight of the day.

We had hoped to get out again today, but the thick fog persisted on the coast, and the strengthening winds from the SE may discourage us from going tomorrow. Roll on summer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Codling Off Craster 29 May 2021.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1587811Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleys from Seaton Point 29 May 2021.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1587812Click image for larger version

Name:	Oli's Pollock off Craster 29 May 2021.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1587813Click image for larger version

Name:	Amble 29 May 2021.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1587814

Sorry - somehow this was supposed to have been in the boat catch reports! Doh !
    Adrian

Comment

i was out myself on the blueye2 yesterday, the wrecks are still quiet and the ground is terrible, i managed 7 fish, biggest about 5lb, hopefully with a decent spell of settled weather it'll pick up, the season is easily a couple of weeks behind

Comment

Great report and pictures MA shame about the fog and the discoloured water, I'm waiting for the weather to sort itself out so I can get the yak out.

Comment

Nice to read your first report of the year, That mist combined with the wind really spoilt the weekend at the caravan which was forecast to be good. Glad you got a few fish because we have been struggling from the shore. A few nice bass in April and nothing but flounder since. At this rate the macky might show by August
          PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Working...
          X