• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filletting fish

SPONSORED BY

SONIK SPORTS

filleting-fish.com - Fish Species these are not my videos
    A few hints and tips that might help you fillett your catch to go along with the vidoes that are now up on NESA. And when i get a donation of a ling i will video that for you.

if you want any lessons just drop in with your fish, a small donation of your catch will do as payment.

1/ One of the most important things is a good sharp knife, there are three basic types of knife for filletting, the good old traditional long narrow bladed knife. A long broad bladed knike, which many chefs prefer and a short bladed (about 4-5inch) filletting knife. After using all three I find I prefer the traditional long narrow bladed knife and the more worn the better. Which ever you choose make sure it is very sharp or you will ruin the fish you are filletting.

2/The bones and skin of a fish will quite quickly dull the edge of your knife, keep sharpening it while you work. There are three main ways of sharpening a knife, the one I prefer is the good old oil stone. Other ways are the sharpners you can buy from any store or the traditional butchers steel.

3/ A good base to work on, and preferably near a sink with plenty of cold running water. Do not use hot water as even tepid water will slightly cook fish and if you have it on your hands it will take ages to rid of the fishy smell.

4/ A bucket handy to dump all the bits in and a decent towel to constantly wipe your hands with. Slippy and wet hands after a while get cold and this can lead to accidents. I know this by experience

In the videos I have tried to go as slow as possible so you can see what I am doing. I have also filletted the fish in such a way as to reduce the amount of mess, i.e. guts and also to make the filletts very presentable and also by skinning and boning making them very suitable for the finicky and children. If you are wondering about the belly flaps, with a fish under 4-5lb these are not worth much and are usually discarded unless there is enough then they will make fish cakes. I keep the bigger belly parts for the same use.
    the videos can be viewed at.

some interesting points have been raised through discussions on other boards, i will try and answer them.

As i stated in the video the fish used where freshly caught and the flesh is quite firm. If you are keeping the fish for a while before filletting them and you are not in a comp gut or bleed them straight away, this prevents the blood tainting the flesh. Or keep them cold or in fresh water. If when you come to fillett a fish the flesh feels soft, gut the fish and leave it till the next day when the flesh will have firmed up. When the flesh softens depends on how they have been treated. The best time to fillett a fish is when rigga sets in, nothing better than a good stiff un. i would not normally fillett a fish if it had been lying around uncared for, for any length of time. I also use the same method for all sizees of round fish even ling. That is leaving the belly flap on, and if of a decent size remove later and use for fish cakes. Only round fish i remove the belly flap from is the mackerel, which you can see from the vidoe. These can be frozen and kept to use as bait, the shape and size makes them ideal casting baits, especially over on the west coast.
    I will try and answer any other Q you may have.

salinitysam of WSF has picked up on a very valid point, whenever possible try and wash your filletts in sea water as the chlorine in tap water can damage the flesh. I stated use running water, do not leave filletts lying in tap water, and i should have added dry your filetts thoroughly after rinsing. Hard to remember everything
    Last edited by Charlton; 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM.
    Alan

Well done Alan that will show a few "butchers" on here how its done !
    Thanks for taking the time out to show us how its done,all we need now is some fish !
    Cheers Bert

Comment

Good to watch a master at work Alan ,like Bert says , we're just waiting for the fish.
      You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Cheers Alan. I usually end up with most of the flesh still on the fish. Hope i can get some practice in soon.

Comment

Great Vid Alan, well done mate .... appreciated by all ...
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Cheers Alan, very much appreciated by me and I'm sure by many others aswell.

It's a bit wierd hearing somone's voice off here that I've never met before but know of.

Martin.

Comment

Martin, it was after reading your post that put the idea into my head, glad to be of help. Hopefully as i get hold of other species we will be able to add them.

ps seems my efforts are not appreciated by those on Anglers Net
              Last edited by Charlton; 26-10-2006, 09:33 PM.
              Alan

Comment

Certainly are appreciated by most, Alan, me included.

Some others are never pleased.....

Comment

keep it up Alan, look forward to the sole
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Norman if you can catch one for me i will show you how, if not it may have to be a plaice or a flounder.
                    Alan

Comment

Alan, how about a series of videos showing the cooked results (and methods of acheiving of course). You could become NESA (Ainsley Harriot) Charlton

...... A lot of folk do ask "How to cook the catch? "
                      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Norman, there should be a lot of recipies on the site somewhere unless they have got lost in the change over, never looked.
                        Alan

Comment

Norman just had a look, they are in the articles section, page four just under Port Patrick article

yours Ainsley
                          Alan

Comment

Aye mate but your voice over and vid would do it all justice
                            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

see what i can do, only problem is with my voice you will prodably fall asleep half way through
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X