Penn fathoms .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn fathoms .

Now that the Fathoms have been around for a few years i was wondering what the general view is on getting them magged up . Has anyone used the fathom 15 or 12 and run it on normal brakes for a few years and are happy with it ? Because a few reviews were saying that the brake blocks turned to dust after a while and led to the reel over running .I no all brake blocks wear away i was just reading that the fathoms wore away quicker than others . I have just bought a Fathom 15 and i would like to leave it alone and run it on 2 blocks but if the blocks are going to wear away fast then i will have to mag it up . i have also read that magging it up gets you more distance as there's less resistance going on inside the reel . i would guess this to be true but i cant imagine its a great amount . i would love to hear your views on that as well please . thanks for any views you may have on this subject .

The issue with brake blocks disintegrating was something a few lads I know had - although they were genuinely big-chuckers (capable of 250yds or more on the field) who were destroying them within a session. More common to a lot of people was the issue of the brake blocks engaging themselves after they'd been clicked into the off position - so people were going out with 2 blocks engaged, then finding the reel slowing down as they were using it. Upon inspection, they'd find 5 or 6 blocks had engaged themselves.

Best option I've seen for people who want to run them on blocks is to carefully remove all of them from the brake assembly, then put in two of the Abu fibre blocks in instead. They're a lot more durable and there shouldn't be any problem with them turning to dust after just a few chucks!

Magging won't give any real distance advantage in a practical fishing situation ( not sure about all that guff you've read about "resistance" - there's more than one kind (physical / magnetic etc). What it does give you is the ability to fine tune the reel to the conditions....a little more braking maybe for a stiff headwind, big baits, two-hook flapper over clipped down single worm etc...less if you've got a tailwind or small baits etc...All this at the twiddle of a knob. For some people this can be a confidence booster or smooth out a few flaws in their casting or whatever and save on a few crackoffs/birdies etc. I don't use the Fathoms myself, as I'd already bought a few Saltists before they came out and had no need for more reels. However, given the budget price of the Fathoms compared to the silly money they ask for Saltists these days, I'd probably come down on the side of the Fathom now - they just need a little tinkering one way or the other to get the best from them but they do seem to be generally well thought of, much more so than the newer Mag 2s...oh, and then there's the issue with the "Blue Grease" that Penn stuff into all their reels these days, but that's another story!

Gary
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

The Fathom 15 is a great all rounder with the mag on mate. As Gary says it won't get you any more distance but makes it more controllable. I found it was getting away from me a bit with 2 blocks in and too slow with 4, the mag let me have somewhere in between.
      People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

I just have the two brake blocks in my two fathom 15 reels and they work fine
        I am not the best caster around but my m8 can chuck a good lead and he has two blake blocks in his fathom 15 and can get some distance.
        I know a few lads have had the mag done on the penn fathom 15 and they seem to work fine for them.
        think its each man to his own preference
        consett warlord retired

Comment

Originally posted by dale19 View Post
          I just have the two brake blocks in my two fathom 15 reels and they work fine
          I am not the best caster around but my m8 can chuck a good lead and he has two blake blocks in his fathom 15 and can get some distance.
          I know a few lads have had the mag done on the penn fathom 15 and they seem to work fine for them.
          think its each man to his own preference
          i see from one of your posts that you fished on the warlord was it with bob
          AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

ive 2 blocks in my 12 and 15 , 2 seasons on and still no issues . I don't fish a great deal myself so maybe that's why mine are still ok .

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
              i see from one of your posts that you fished on the warlord was it with bob
              yes I did go on the war lord with bob had some good days out .
              used to try and get booked up on a wednesday as that was my day off work then.
              bob used to book me on the silver scales if the war lord was fully booked
              never been back up there since bob passed away. .
              consett warlord retired

Comment

Working...
              X