Coin hive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This filter disables browser based miners such as coin-hive

Seems like this is not an isolated incident, some major websites are sneakily using coinhive to mine for online currency whilst using their users resources/electricity, this is not a hack, the owners know this is running and it's a pretty unethical way of making money using you.

Anyone who uses ADBLOCK PLUS or other adblocking software should add this filter list URL to their adblock.

Code:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/nocoin.txt
    On adblockplus you need to click on the adblock icon>
    options>
    add new filter list>

Give the list a name (no coin mining for example)
    then paste the above link into the filter list URL

Then click ADD A FILTER LIST

Done.
    Last edited by Muad_Dib; 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad_Dib View Post
      Seems like this is not an isolated incident, some major websites are sneakily using coinhive to mine for online currency whilst using their users resources/electricity, this is not a hack, the owners know this is running and it's a pretty unethical way of making money using you.

Anyone who uses ADBLOCK PLUS or other adblocking software should add this filter list URL to their adblock.

Code:
      https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/nocoin.txt
      On adblockplus you need to click on the adblock icon>
      options>
      add new filter list>

Give the list a name (no coin mining for example)
      then paste the above link into the filter list URL

Then click ADD A FILTER LIST

Done.
      You seem to know what your talking about mate, I now can't access Mesa on my pc as Norton keeps blocking it, do you know how I can sort this mate.

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
        You seem to know what your talking about mate, I now can't access Mesa on my pc as Norton keeps blocking it, do you know how I can sort this mate.
        Don't know what browser you're using, but on Safari on my mac I'm getting around it by disabling java script in the settings before logging on (then turning it back on when I'm done)...pain in the ass but the coin-hive runs a small java script program so this prevents it and my anti-virus doesn't show any alerts. I only have Adblock installed, not the plus version, so this will do for now, but it's not ideal and does affect a few things on the site - but at least I can browse and do a basic post for the time being. In the meantime, I've also got to find an alternative to Photobucket, since they started holding their users to ransom...

Gary
        ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
        on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
          Don't know what browser you're using, but on Safari on my mac I'm getting around it by disabling java script in the settings before logging on (then turning it back on when I'm done)...pain in the ass but the coin-hive runs a small java script program so this prevents it and my anti-virus doesn't show any alerts. I only have Adblock installed, not the plus version, so this will do for now, but it's not ideal and does affect a few things on the site - but at least I can browse and do a basic post for the time being. In the meantime, I've also got to find an alternative to Photobucket, since they started holding their users to ransom...

Gary
          Doesn't matter what browser I use, Norton just blocks it. There are settings in Norton but not sure which ones to change, anyway thanks for reply Gary.

Comment

I've just found it hidden in one of the templates of the forum and have removed it. I have no idea how long it will take the hackers to come back, but I don't have the time to do much else, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by elton View Post
              I've just found it hidden in one of the templates of the forum and have removed it. I have no idea how long it will take the hackers to come back, but I don't have the time to do much else, I'm afraid.
              thanks elton, can now get back in, better than using the mobile, cheers

Comment

Working...
              X