Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie Post!

Hey Guys,

Only been fishing about 10 times, recently getting into shore fishing, been once weekly for about 3/4 weeks in a row now... (so much fun! even in the wind and rain)

Having a few problems though, Im using a fixed spool (which i know some members look down on, but hey, its getting me into the roll of things lol)
    I cant seem to get any distance on my casting, i know it's meant to be more pulling with the left hand that it is pushing with the right just wondering if anyone has any more tips on techniques etc?

My next question is how to catch something edible haha, so far i've caught a eel, a few codling, few coalies a rockling and far too many crabs & plastic bags! (and bloody sea weed!) but nothing sizeable, im using 2/0 hooks and a pulley pennel rig. Bait wise i've tried squid, lug, rag, mackerel, mussel and mixtures of all. I presume my distance casting isnt up to scratch and that might be why im not getting anything of size?

Also, does the amount of bait on the hook effect your chances, compared to others I don't seem to "fill out" my hook, not putting huge amounts on maybe 1 rag and 1 lug, or 1 rag 1 mussel etc. any ideas?

Cheers for your time.

Hello mate I'm new on here as well . As far as casting goes theirs plenty places to fish where you don't need a big cast , walkways a good shot and good chance of a sized fish . Bait depends what your trying to catch but take a couple with you , lug razor mussel fresh crab if you can get it . You've got plenty time for a good fish the seasons just getting started . Good luck and when your fishing ask other anglers for advice I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you

Comment

best repost this in the main shore fishing section ....if u wanna get distance fixed spool is NOT a hindrance.... it boils down to technique which u going to have to get someone to show you either thru goodwill or gettting some paid lessons. if u r down horden ill see if i can assist becoz i am not a pro but have helped other beginners. distance is handy when required just so you know. with regards to amount of bait ..u must match ur hook to size of bait to enable the best strike/hook-up ratio . the hookpoint must stand proud of the bait.
      Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
      Kompressor SS /slosh30
      tt sport /525 mag

Comment

As codcatcher3000 says match bait to hooks. If yr fishing to catch cod then use large baits (more scent trail in water) even a small codling has a large mouth and will swallow a big hook/bait easily.. A single worm will wash out very quickly in any sea state.. Just use your common sense and things will fall into place, happy fishing

Comment

lol
          you caught a few codling, coalies whiting etc etc, seem to have done better than me and ive been fishin years mate
          keep doin whatya doin, it will come!

Comment

try casting when the lead swings in (towards your rod) it will load up the rod more and get you a bit further, that plus plenty more practice and the distance will come once you get comfortable. an overhead thump is all you need don't get wrapped up in pendulum casts and shockleaders etc.

as for a bigger fish it all depends where your fishing and in what conditions for bait sizes, say if your on the river small hooks and small baits will get you plenty small fish. off the rocks or beach when there's a sea on for big fish. a big 4/0 - 6/0 hook with maybe 3-5 lug and a few mussel wrapped on with elastic would be my choice.
            just a tip for starting out if your after big fish, conditions are pretty much everything, research the mark you want to fish and find out what conditions are best to give you the best chances

Comment

poor casting

I have never been very good at distance casting the lad I go with is an excellent caster he told me its all down to the rod and the technique.
              I have just got back into sea fishing and got two used rods a ron Thompson axcellerator and just got a century compressor GP tried it out Thursday on shields pier.
              my mate can blast them out no problem with both of my rods next time we go out I intend just to try and improve my casting
              any tips from you guys
              consett warlord retired

Comment

Don't knock the standard lugworm, black gull worms or yellow tails as a bait for small fish as they can attract the big fish aswell, my biggest shore cod at 13.5lbs came on three lugworm threaded round the bend of a 4/0 hook followed that with a 7.5lb cod on the next cast again on lugworm.
                I have had many cod up to 8.0lbs and I would say 90% came on lugworm, black worm and yellow tails and this is the time of year that lug worm in all it forms comes into it's own so always have it in your bait box.

Comment

You dont always need distance, Its all about trial and error..use different rigs to find which best suits you and the ground you fish, If your fishing clean sandy beaches or rivers you dont really need pulleys, Give the tried and tested flapper rig a shot and keep your pulleysfor mixed to rough ground fishing and be sure not to mask you hook with the size of the bait you use and keep your hooks sharp, Put a bit bait elastic on to make things more compact and prevent it sliding down the hook as much.
                  People dont really look down on fixed spool reels most of us still use them especially in the summer months float fishing and spinning.
                  Practice your casting on a large empty field and im sure things will improve

Comment

casting

Best advice would be to have some casting lessons so you dont develop bad habits failing that few basics are to learn a simple of the ground cast to learn basic rules such as trying to keep arms as straight as possible to create big arc and no putting power in until left arms say eye level in front of you and cast slowly at first

Comment

Try looling up the off the ground cast and get the basics with that first and then, move on.to a style your comfortable with, alternativly contact a casting instructor in your area

Comment

Originally posted by wallythefish View Post
                        Try looling up the off the ground cast and get the basics with that first and then, move on.to a style your comfortable with, alternativly contact a casting instructor in your area
                        did contact an instructor some time ago he did reply but nowt since then ?
                        consett warlord retired

Comment

Where abouts are you located dale?

Comment

top right corner,consett.

Comment

Hi and welcome to NESA. Having lessons with an instructor is the best way to go for improving your casting but also have a look on youtube for casting videos and websites such as britishseafishing.co.uk and worldseafishing.com for advice on rigs, baits etc

Comment

Working...
                              X