End of the line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the line

Rory alias 5150 put me onto this, an interview with Charles Clover was on radio five at 2pm, you may be able to listen to it on the net, very interesting.

BBC NEWS | UK | Film warns of 'world without fish'

Film warns of 'world without fish'

By Jeremy Cooke
    Rural affairs correspondent, BBC News

The film says there are too many fishing boats chasing too few fish
    They are dramatic images to make a dramatic point. The End of the Line is a film packed with footage of big-scale fishing in oceans around the world.

The work is efficient, modern, industrial and, according to the film makers, unsustainable.

Amid doom laden music, the narrator tells us: "Our view of the sea has always been that it is huge, beautiful and inexhaustible. The oceans are the common heritage of all mankind and for billions of years they have been full of life."

But that, according to the film-maker and journalist Charles Clover, is changing. The world's ocean environment - and the fish in it - is facing catastrophe.

"These huge resources which we once believed to be renewable, that our whole human history has led us up until now to believe are renewable, are not renewable any more because of what we are doing to them. And so our entire philosophical approach has to change. It is not going to be the same in the future as it was in the past."

The global fishing capacity could catch the world catch four times over

The End of the Line
    The documentary claims to be to the marine environment what An Inconvenient Truth was to global warming.

The basic problem, says the film, is the huge over-capacity of the modern fishing industry.

There are too many boats chasing too few fish: "The global fishing capacity could catch the world catch four times over. The world's long-lining industry sets 1.4 billion hooks every year. These are estimated to be set on enough line to encircle the entire globe more than 550 times."

If we are in any doubt about the sheer power of the modern fish industry, we are told: "The mouth of the largest trawling net is big enough to accommodate 13 747 jets."

So amid claims of insufficient, poorly enforced regulation it is hard to find any good news when it comes to the world's fisheries. But if the global picture is bleak there are some areas of good practice.

The End of the Line claims the world's oceans are facing catastrophe
    We went to Iceland to see what is regarded by many conservationists as the gold standard of modern fishing practice.

Two hours off the coast of western Iceland the crew of a small, clean, fishing vessel were using the light of the 0300 dawn to bait some 14,000 hooks on eight miles of line.

The skipper is after haddock which he targets very carefully. Two hours later, when the lines are winched aboard, it is clear it has been a good day.

The fishermen here say they are making a good living, despite strict rules and regulations governing their work. The authorities can close the fishing grounds if there are any indications of the stocks failing.

Iceland also has quotas limiting the amount of each species a vessel can land. But, crucially, there are no discards - the practice of throwing tonnes of dead fish back into the water, which has so blighted the EU version of the same measures.

Back in port, fish exporter Jan Tomensen told me there is general agreement in Iceland among policy makers about the conservation measures.

"It is very important, especially for Iceland, not to over-fish and to keep the stocks sustainable… It is very important to the country and everyone understands that - the fishermen, the fisheries' owners and the government, of course.

Iceland believes other countries can learn from its fishing practices
    "We hear that 90% of the fish in the EC is over-fished and 30% is in very bad shape, so I am sure they can learn something from Iceland."

Iceland's record explains why some of our leading retailers go there to buy their fish. Waitrose, for example, relies heavily on Icelandic supplies because it can be sure that the produce is caught sustainably.

But the mainstream industry knows that illegal, or black fish (caught outside the rules of the EU or other authorities) can be a big problem.

Waitrose chief buyer of fish, Quentin Clark, says: "There are some shocking, absolutely shocking, statistics out about how much fish is caught illegally around the world - it is a global problem.

"And that is why it is so important that people have full confidence in their retailer - or wherever else they buy their fish - that they know where that fish is coming from."

Watching The End of the Line, it is clear that consumer power may be central to hopes of stopping the decline in global fish stocks. We are all being encouraged to ask: "Where is this fish from, and is that source sustainable?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alan

Don't think it was me Alan (me Lee, me not Rory!) but my meory is terrible so it might have been!!!!

Oddly my mate just asked me about this film today and I googled it to find this link: The End of the Line :: The Film I've not had a chance to watch it yet, I'm working remote and a lot of stuff is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by 5150 View Post
      Don't think it was me Alan (me Lee, me not Rory!) but my meory is terrible so it might have been!!!!

Oddly my mate just asked me about this film today and I googled it to find this link: The End of the Line :: The Film I've not had a chance to watch it yet, I'm working remote and a lot of stuff is disabled.
      I get puddleD with that many messages/e mails with all these aliases, I forget who I am at times.
      Alan

Comment

Rory = red5 methinks

The film is on general release and from the reviews I have read seems to be well worth watching. I even recieved a letter about it from the SFC to recommend I go and see it.
        Save our Sharks Member
        SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
        NSFC RSA representative

Comment

well i love my fishing but surely a sea without fish is a very sad day indeed.

the sea worldwide is been fished everyday it cannott sustain it for ever, dont no what the best thing to do is, but something has to be done.

Comment

Carried over from conservation

The End of the Line is a feature documentary film revealing the impact of over fishing on the world's oceans.
            Filmed from the straits of Gibralter to the coasts of Senegal and Alaska to the Tokyo fish markets, and focuses on the imminent extinction of the Bluefin Tune due to increasing demand for sushi.

This film is being screened on Tuesday 26 October, 7.30 pm. The Trojan Rooms, South Parade, Whitley Bay. Free entry

(Bar available)

Comment

Working...
            X