Battered Fish and Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battered Fish and Chips

What with a summer of decent weather and a brave attempt to eat healthly, we have not had the above since early July, with fresh cod at our caravan in Cayton Bay.

Fresh cod, haddock or pollock is obviously best, but we only had frozen from our charter adventures in July. We had bought a vacuum sealer from Lidl and I have to say it really does seem to keep the fish fresher.

For the chips - Best to use Maris Piper or King Edwards.

For the batter - Plain flour, Bi-carbonate of soda, salt, chilli flakes(optional) and either lager, beer or fizzy water.

Method - Pre heat the deep fat fryer and oven. Place tray in heating oven.

Chips - Peel, wash and cut into desire size and lightly dry with kitchen towel. Once fryer is hot pop in the chips.

Batter - Mix about 125g of plain flour, teaspoon of bi-carbonate, salt to taste, chilli flakes(0ptional) and 2/3rds of a can of beer/lager or fizzy water(230ml).

Mix until like double cream.

Take chips out the fryer and pop them onto the warm tray in the oven. Make sure you get the fryer back up to frying temperature. Coat fish with batter(no need to coat with flour first) and pop them into fryer.

Serve with sea salt, black pepper, vinegar and lemon wedges.
    Last edited by kayos; 29-09-2013, 05:05 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

so much hassel for a bit fish supper hoy the fkr in the pan tek out then hoy chips in jobs a gudin eat well

one sentence
    Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Originally posted by codseeker View Post
      so much hassel for a bit fish supper hoy the fkr in the pan tek out then hoy chips in jobs a gudin eat well

one sentence

Call that a sentence!

Comment

This sounds really good actually !

I always only use flour on the fillet and my batter never comes out how I would like..

Also I don't have a fryer do you think this batter would work in the pan ?

Can you upload a photo of the finished product?

Comment

I just follow the trusty bero cook book

Comes out like this:

Cheers, Keith.

Comment

You cannot beat a bero cook book like haha

Yours looks a thousand times better than mine do you use a fryer aswell?

Comment

I just use woks for all my deep frying, and use a jam thermometer to check oil temperature (only a few quick from department store). Dripping is best for taste, but I tend to stick with veg / sunflower oil. Getting the batter thickness just right is important (not too thick) and oil temperature (generally between 170-190˚C) - Keith's looks pretty spot on to me...and yes, can't go wrong with the old Bero cookbook!

Gary
              ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
              on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

On a thread like this I simply cant resist this re-post

frying tonight.mpg - YouTube

norm .....
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post

norm .....
                  yum yum!!
                  Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Fooking jebus I've lost a canny bit of kite since this vid!!!

norm .....
                    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                    I AGREE

Comment

Don't worry tone, I think the pictures a bit distorted ....... then again if it's not ............................ crikey

kidding

norm
                      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

I remember my Gran using Bero !!

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                          I remember my Gran using Bero !!
                          always use the same mix, perfect and crispy every time.

approx 4 heaped tablespoons of plain flour, use the same amount of malt vinegar as water, until same consistency as yorkshire pud mix /batter, simple and spot on every time. cooked in hot oil (when a drop of batter comes straight to the surface its hot enough)

happy days

Comment

norm .....
                            looks very very nice but how did u make your batter lol

Comment

Working...
                            X