No announcement yet.

The art of hot smoking fishI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs B wouldn't touch anything cooked in a manky smoker so if I could present it to be cooked in the oven looking like the stuff we buy she MIGHT just try it

I didn't know cold smoking takes 5-8 hours, £10.50 for a large fillet is sounding cheaper.

The fillet I bought from Taylors yesterday hasn't been dyed orange, I'm told it tastes exactly the same, the boss isn't convinced but we'll find out at tea time. I just know she's gonna complain
    Last edited by KeithB; 18-12-2015, 07:28 AM.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
      Mrs B wouldn't touch anything cooked in a manky smoker so if I could present it to be cooked in the oven looking like the stuff we buy she MIGHT just try it

I didn't know cold smoking takes 5-8 hours, £10.50 for a large fillet is sounding cheaper.

The fillet I bought from Taylors yesterday hasn't been dyed orange, I'm told it tastes exactly the same, the boss isn't convinced but we'll find out at tea time. I just know she's gonna complain
      .looking forward to result.come t time.

Comment

Ah right, so you cold smoke it and then cook it. Seems way to long a process. hot smoke in 30mins.

Are you suggesting my hot smoker is manky Keith!?
        2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

the smoke houses at craster, most long gong now, have been mankin for year's.
          we still buy there kipper's....!

Comment

Originally posted by Davey1970 View Post
            the smoke houses at craster, most long gong now, have been mankin for year's.
            we still buy there kipper's....!
            .how can you buy there kippers,if there long gone.lol.ps,your only warming up atm davey,try @ get into 2nd gear atleast.LOL.

Comment

f you read it properly it say`s "most long gone",
              in fact I believe there`s only 1 smokehouse still working in craster.
              and reg, am only still in 2nd gear.

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                Ah right, so you cold smoke it and then cook it. Seems way to long a process. hot smoke in 30mins.

Are you suggesting my hot smoker is manky Keith!?
                They ALL are Mark once used

I used to pop to the smoke house on the Quay when I was kid to scrounge a herring or mackerel for bait, filthy places.
                Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
                  They ALL are Mark once used

I used to pop to the smoke house on the Quay when I was kid to scrounge a herring or mackerel for bait, filthy places.
                  You know what Keith, you may just have a point!

Before:

After:

2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Very interesting and informative post. What I am interested in is the preserving of fish by smoking rather then the taste.

Does anyone know how long fish keep once smoked? and how they store them when done? I'm assuming cold smoking might be better and wondered if something like an old fridge in an outhouse might be suitable for storage?

Comment

Working...
                    X