No announcement yet.

batter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowt wrong with that Tony, I like the batter thin, if I get a fish from the chippy I ask for "stripped cod" they dip the fish and run most of the batter off, the plus side is you always get a freshly cooked fish as well.

Originally posted by tonynufc View Post
    almost there, used that recipe and it was much more crispy though the batter was quite thin, possibly done my mix to watery

Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
      Nowt wrong with that Tony, I like the batter thin, if I get a fish from the chippy I ask for "stripped cod" they dip the fish and run most of the batter off, the plus side is you always get a freshly cooked fish as well.
      cheers keith, ive got some more fish defrosting for tomorrow so i'll see what i can do this time.

Comment

cheers keith, ive got some more fish defrosting for tomorrow so i'll see what i can do this time.
        If you're cooking fish from frozen, I've found it helps a great deal to salt the fish first, as frozen fillets contain a lot more water than fresh (due to freezing/thawing process). This can cause your batter to go soggy and oily.

Get a shallow baking tray or large plate & generously sprinkle with salt, then lay the fillet(s) on top. Sprinkle more salt over the fillets then prop one end of the tray up a couple of inches (on an up-turned bowl or something) so that the water drawn out by the salt can run away from the fish. Let stand for about 20 minutes, then remove the excess salt by wiping fish dry with kitchen paper (paper towels). Then proceed with battering as usual - the fish will absorb enough of the salt to season it nicely.

Gary
        ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
        on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

all of above, however, a like my batter mix, with a little john smith's.
          trust me, it work's.

Comment

has anyone got any tips for making batter, ive been making beer batter using recipes from google which has been turning out ok but one problem i am having is my batter isn't crispy, not like the chip shop batter, it sort of resembles the batter you get on frozen fish. im drying the fish before cooking and coating it with flour before dipping in the batter and the oil is really hot. any ideas where im going wrong?
            have u tried cider batter, got the recipe on google and it was really nice even though i not follow instuction to the letter and i suppose u could possibly try
            any liquid for trial and 4 error to see what is best . then again its everyone to his own

Comment

tea spoonful of bi carb and half tea spool of custard powder plus a couple of shakes of vinegar to make it glisten and to be cooked in deep fat fryer.
              did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Working...
              X