Which fixed spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fixed spool

Which fixed spool reel would you guys recommend for beach fishing over rough ground for a social angler ??

Whats your price limit? Generally a good fixed spool costs a lot of cash. I personally prefer shimanos and would say look at an ultegra Ci4. If your not bothered about line lay go for an all metal reel like a Penn Battle 8000 or Spinfisher. The cheaper plastic framed reels like surfblasters will wobble about when under pressure. Even the cheaper shimanos have this problem but to a lesser degree.

Comment

go half way get yourself an alvey sidecast reel put 100lb berkley whiplash on ,28 dia

put line on in a way you backwind wth it and then bobs your uncle.

backwind ie the way lads wth scarborough lads wind in wth there scarborough reels.
      did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by john/r View Post
        go half way get yourself an alvey sidecast reel put 100lb berkley whiplash on ,28 dia

put line on in a way you backwind wth it and then bobs your uncle.

backwind ie the way lads wth scarborough lads wind in wth there scarborough reels.
        -28 dia john is to thick for the braid your defeating the object 50lb -17 now ya talkin john.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbuddy View Post
          -28 dia john is to thick for the braid your defeating the object 50lb -17 now ya talkin john.
          yep got some 50lb whiplash blaze orange.

Comment

okuma trio rex salt fixed spool reel there excellent there £120 in ollies bait and tackle whitley bay
            North East Sinker Supplies

Comment

Okumas
              Crap imo, poor quality and finish, flexes under load and the spool tapers towards the rod adding additional friction to the line on spool lip. And you can't fold the handle. And spool is slightly too small and and and!!!

Penn Battle 8000
              Penn Conflict 8000
              Penn Spinfisher longcast 7500
              Shimano ultegra ci4
              Shimano Aero tech
              Fin Nor Offshore or lethal
              Would be the ones on my list.
              Last edited by CHUKKA; 28-10-2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Catcher 40 would be top of my list like
                Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by topbanana View Post
                  Catcher 40 would be top of my list like
                  Ryobi must have come on in 40 yr top

Comment

I have a Daiwa tournament 6000t. I think it's a great reel but hard to get hold of now.
                    I also have a Shimano Ultegra 12000 which is also vert good and cheaper.

Ian

Comment

Got to admit sometimes I think I know about fishing and gear but to be honest realy I dont but something or a reel I never hear mentioned much but thought or heard they were good.
                      Fox stratus 12000s are these any good.

Comment

The fox reels aren't bad but materials arent up to shimano stds. The line lay is very good but as is usual with plastic frames they flex under load.
                        The mag versions will be excellent but will they last i doubt it. Spares might be a problem but spools are very cheap!!

Comment

weekender rough ground fixed spool

Originally posted by sbell View Post
                          Which fixed spool reel would you guys recommend for beach fishing over rough ground for a social angler ??
                          The Answer to this the Original Question " A fixed spool for a Social Angler ".By this l read you want a solid reliable reel fit for purpose that can be used weekly and not break the bank balance or take out a new morgage.
                          Nothing wrong with the Okumas,solid strong no frills or bling,any one of these will do the job, Rex trio, Raw II 80, Salina3, plenty top local match and club anglers using them in the heaviest rough ground.£100-130 get you any of these if you shop around.Will chuck 7ozs and big baits 100 yards plus all day long while you haul cods out kelp or up cliffs.

Want to upgrade and pay lot more go to Shimano Ultegra,Saragosa and Daiwa Tournaments.Want to break most peoples banks,go get a Shimano Technium 500 quid + few hundred more if you get a top end model.

At the end of the day,all these models and makes mentioned they will all do the job,same as the other.... bottom price range to very top, £100 notes to a eye watering £900+...They, also just as easy will all break and fail,dunked in sea water filled gullies, getting clattered around rocks and up and down cliff faces.

Best choice for a social angler, pay a £110 quid, batter and clatter it all you want, if it breaks after a year or so, go out simply buy a new replacement one next day and carry on fishing.
                          Buy the top end Shimano Aero Techniums, it ll break just the same and just as easy,but there ll be lots of tears and explanations to the wife,and you wont be going out buying one next day unless your a lotto winner. Simple answer to a easy question really.

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor1 View Post
                              The Answer to this the Original Question " A fixed spool for a Social Angler ".By this l read you want a solid reliable reel fit for purpose that can be used weekly and not break the bank balance or take out a new morgage.
                              Nothing wrong with the Okumas,solid strong no frills or bling,any one of these will do the job, Rex trio, Raw II 80, Salina3, plenty top local match and club anglers using them in the heaviest rough ground.£100-130 get you any of these if you shop around.Will chuck 7ozs and big baits 100 yards plus all day long while you haul cods out kelp or up cliffs.

Want to upgrade and pay lot more go to Shimano Ultegra,Saragosa and Daiwa Tournaments.Want to break most peoples banks,go get a Shimano Technium 500 quid + few hundred more if you get a top end model.

At the end of the day,all these models and makes mentioned they will all do the job,same as the other.... bottom price range to very top, £100 notes to a eye watering £900+...They, also just as easy will all break and fail,dunked in sea water filled gullies, getting clattered around rocks and up and down cliff faces.

Best choice for a social angler, pay a £110 quid, batter and clatter it all you want, if it breaks after a year or so, go out simply buy a new replacement one next day and carry on fishing.
                              Buy the top end Shimano Aero Techniums, it ll break just the same and just as easy,but there ll be lots of tears and explanations to the wife,and you wont be going out buying one next day unless your a lotto winner. Simple answer to a easy question really.
                              Can I ask which one do you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X