Ardewell Marine and fishing at Port Logan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ardewell Marine and fishing at Port Logan

Bit of a shot in the dark but I was at Ardwell marine the other day enquiring about fishing in the local area.

He charges £150 for six months and you get to launch from Port Logan.

He said four lads from Newcastle keep a Pilot house at his place and do just that.

Is it anyone on here?

Wanted to know the crack, about fishing Port Logan and the launching and recovering.

Hi don,t want to put you off the fishing is still good but it is a shadow of its former self but this is true in most cases, as for boat storage Tom is a gentleman and will look after your boat well, you would probably save the £150 in time and fuel , I have fished that area both boat and shore for 35 yrs and seen the fishing go from fantastic to good if you want to catch different species its the place to go if you want to catch cod don't bother, as for the launch at Logan its great you can manage with a car, anywhere else a 4x4 is advisable, as my boats got bigger so did my vehicles my two brothers and I used to go Tope hunting catching monsters, including conger,and bullhuss but when we were feathering for mackerel we would catch cod to over 10lb, big pollock, coalfish, large haddock, wrasse, etc. in the bay off the white cottage you could fill a box with plaice, but due to the increased pressure them days are gone I could fish all day and not see another boat now there can be as many as 20 boat trailers on the beach a lot will return with very little to show for their effort, the scenery is stunning the people are friendly, launching is free, the sunsets are amazing, hope this helps you make you mind up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe-m; 22-09-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Sunset at Logan a few pictures I've dug out no body used to bother years ago pleased I took a few
      Attached Files

Comment

remember when the spurdog used to come on, everything else used to scatter tope included incase they got eaten, spent many a good day with a light rod pulling them in, sadly those days are gone, but there are signs they are making a come back along with the smoothies.
        Alan

Comment

Hi Alan you right about the smoothies had a few lately and bass can't say I was bothered to much with spurs used to get them off Ryhope when they hammered the whities you knew they were there when you started pulling in fish heads not many about now as far as I know, the lads at Port William used to complain about them.
          Last edited by Joe-m; 22-09-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Great photos and advice. I think I'll give it a go. Next spring.

I was in Girvan harbour I paid £280 for the summer there last year. This year they want £1000. Little bit of an increase.

Again thanks for the info

Comment

That's a big jump in fee's good luck by the way try to miss top of the tide that way you can turn on the beach saves reversing down the ramp

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-m View Post
                Hi Alan you right about the smoothies had a few lately and bass can't say I was bothered to much with spurs used to get them off Ryhope when they hammered the whities you knew they were there when you started pulling in fish heads not many about now as far as I know, the lads at Port William used to complain about them.
                trouble was when you went for a days boat fishing and they came in there was nothing else around so either have some fun with light gear or return to Port, the shoals must of been miles wide couldn't get away from them, but as the locals say couldn't do it week after week. Also kept a few for the pan, very tasty.
                Alan

Comment

Very true you can only catch what is there at least you got a fry remember them spurs vicious

Comment

I stopped shore fishing from the Mull about 7 years ago, it just went so far down hill compared to what it used to be....but that said it is still one of the better spots in the Uk for species its just the big boys and numbers of target species such as pollack big, congar etc have dropped right off.

I still do boat fishing and had mixed days, some days cant egt a bite others never stop winding in... Ardewell does look a good spot to store your boat and laods stored last time we drove past.
                    ................__................................ .............................
                    ____[ ~ \_____
                    [__On-A-Roll__/
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    P.B
                    SKATE 204lb
                    COD 51lb
                    LING 32lb
                    TOPE 40lb
                    CONGER 25lb
                    HADDOCK 10lb
                    HALIBUT 37lb
                    COALIE 16lb
                    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by northeast1 View Post
                      I stopped shore fishing from the Mull about 7 years ago, it just went so far down hill compared to what it used to be....but that said it is still one of the better spots in the Uk for species its just the big boys and numbers of target species such as pollack big, congar etc have dropped right off.

I still do boat fishing and had mixed days, some days cant egt a bite others never stop winding in... Ardewell does look a good spot to store your boat and laods stored last time we drove past.
                      I second that it's gone well down hill you still here of the odd one that gets a good fish and then states this is the top place!!!! 10 or so years back i can remember catching half a dozen double figure fish in a session most of the fish were over 6lb and went back i always found the mackerel smaller on the west side? i have seen the tope nearly on the beach at ardwell on some nights they were good days

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-m View Post
                        Very true you can only catch what is there at least you got a fry remember them spurs vicious
                        seen a few careless anglers spiked by them and in tears, hellish to stop bleeding and quite often swell right up, never had the pleasure always to careful and those for pot soon lost their barbs
                        Alan

Comment

Memories,......Yes, it's doddle launching off the beach at Port Logan, the sand being very hard. I used to tow the caravan over to port logan and the wife towed the boat back in the eighties and ninety's and fish just outside the bay for all the species mentioned. We would also head over to loch Ryan and fish for big conga at the breakers yard, or fish out of Dally bay for the huge plaice etc: The fishing was fantastic, but sadly only a shadow of it's former self now.
                          P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Originally posted by canman View Post
                            Memories,...... I used to tow the caravan over to port logan and the wife towed the boat (
                            A wife who tows the boat around for you, that must have been your best catch ever.

Comment

Originally posted by canman View Post
                              Memories,......Yes, it's doddle launching off the beach at Port Logan, the sand being very hard. I used to tow the caravan over to port logan and the wife towed the boat back in the eighties and ninety's and fish just outside the bay for all the species mentioned. We would also head over to loch Ryan and fish for big conga at the breakers yard, or fish out of Dally bay for the huge plaice etc: The fishing was fantastic, but sadly only a shadow of it's former self now.
                              Here's a one catching conger at the breakers yard got a one somewhere at Dally Bay but cannot find it last time I had a look down the track was overgrown
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X