New rod and reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rod and reel

I am after a new rod and reel and thought I would ask for your opinions on this. I tend to do wreck and rough ground fishing using all the usual methods. I prefer to fish with lighter gear rather than heavy.

The first question I need to ask; is it better to buy cheap, throw away when knackered and replace or to buy a decent quality gear which will last some time?

Should you spend more on the reel and less on the rod or vice versa? Are lever drag reels better than star drags and good value for money?

Some suggestions on individual rods and reels or combinations would be very helpful.

I have a budget of up to £150 but any savings from your suggestions would be welcome to enable to keep well below that

Thanks

Brian
    A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

You could do a lot worse than a Shakespeare Ugly Stick Charter, 30lb. good rod that won't let you down

I just happen to have one for sale at the moment

Reels wise, these days? I wouldn't have a clue

good luck

Comment

Hi Brian

since we do similar fishing and have similar boats and moorings, here is what I use:

I have usually 2 setups ready to fish on my boat in summer:

1. A 20-30 lb rod (in my case a Shakespeare ugly stik 20-30lb braid) and I use a Shimano TLD 15 with 40 lb braid on it. This is my standard set up for wrecking

2. A 8-`12 pound Abu Garcia boat rod with a Abu 7000, which I use for mackerel spinning or light shadding

I also have on the boat 2 heavier reels (Shimano TLD 20 and a Penn) in case I go deeper on the wrecks.

For autumn/winter, I would suggest a box standard uptiding setup as well

In any case, I would go to Andy Rutherford in Roker Avenue and let him put together a decent setup for you.

He might even have a nice second hand reel in his collection.

Comment

The first question I need to ask; is it better to buy cheap, throw away when knackered and replace or to buy a decent quality gear which will last some time?

Dont buy cheap. Go for an adequate boat rod and a very good boat reel. You might be lucky to get a nice second hand setup on this forum. Be very careful with reels. You will get snagged on wrecks, which puts enormous stress on the reel bearings.

Should you spend more on the reel and less on the rod or vice versa? Are lever drag reels better than star drags and good value for money?
        I think the reel is more important. However...a Fladen Maxximus carbon is a very very nice rod. Reels need to be fast with little technical gimmicks that can break on the wrecks. You want to be able to pull a ling out of the wreck, before he hides and also be able to bring your 12ounce lead up numerous times a day when re-drifting

Some suggestions on individual rods and reels or combinations would be very helpful.
        Shakespeare Ugly Stik
        Fladen Maxximus
        Shimano TLD, better Tyrnos, if you can afford

I personally prefer Lever Drag and no Level wind
        If you can afford, go for a 2 speed one
        I have a budget of up to £150 but any savings from your suggestions would be welcome to enable to keep well below that

Thanks

Brian[/QUOTE]

Comment

Snowbee deepblue 10 or 20 :d ohh and a tld 15 as a good spare:d
          Cheers Bert

Comment

I love my saltist 50 the Penn 525s are bloody good aswell i watched one pull a 20lber up
            Cod machine

Comment

Originally posted by kingcod deano View Post
              I love my saltist 50 the Penn 525s are bloody good aswell i watched one pull a 20lber up
              Aye and a Ugly Stik 15-20lb rod, the 525 hasnt been serviced for 3 years, wrecking and rough ground and still fit as a lop...

Comment

seem very popular rods ugly stick. One I would consider as my next buy.
                Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Thanks for the tips I now have some ideas on what to look for.
                  A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

Working...
                  X