Putting the boat away for winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting the boat away for winter

Every year i strip the boat down, drain the raw water system, empty the water pump, remove the eltronics etc but this year with the the boat up for sale until Mid March and the chance that people may wish to see her and take her for a run out i wont be doing much apart from removing my fishing gear.

Question is:- any body else just leave the boat over the winter months and if so experianced and issues? i am always concered the frost causes issues with the coolant since the marinas top layer is mainly fresh water.

If the boat is not sold by the time 2014 fee's come around she will be getting kept for the season.
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Well I,m planning on lifting the boat out on Friday weather permitting for its yearly maintainance, ready for the winter season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Davey

Comment

I had my boat lifted out a couple of weeks ago Richy, to start the autumn with new antifoul and anodes. Over the last few winters, I’ve heated the engine well with a 40watt tubular greenhouse heater on shore power, plugged into a thermostatic switch set to come on at 4degrees C.
      The batteries get put on charge for a few hours every couple of weeks if we don’t get out for a run.

Comment

Cheers, see i always strip it right down and take everything home to the house...guess i have to fish abit longer then
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

If you can manage to fish in Norway, then the calm winter’s days shouldn’t be much of a problem for you Richy

Comment

Well you would think that but i have had more days in Norway with a t-shirt on than a coat on....you be shocked how warm it gets if the wind is not from the north.

Well i may get lucky and the boat may go early but doubt it as bad time to sell with winter on its way...its on 4 web sites so you never know..already turned down 2 offers well below the amount i want.
            ____[ ~ \_____
            [__On-A-Roll__/
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            P.B
            SKATE 204lb
            COD 51lb
            LING 32lb
            TOPE 40lb
            CONGER 25lb
            HADDOCK 10lb
            HALIBUT 37lb
            COALIE 16lb
            BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Richy, would you not get a decent deal part-ex against a boat you'd like.......
              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Yer prob would but at this moment in time no second hand boats on the net in my price range that i like private or dealer
                ____[ ~ \_____
                [__On-A-Roll__/
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                P.B
                SKATE 204lb
                COD 51lb
                LING 32lb
                TOPE 40lb
                CONGER 25lb
                HADDOCK 10lb
                HALIBUT 37lb
                COALIE 16lb
                BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Rich,
                  I leave everything as is ....... and visit every weekend over the winter to start the engine (if no frost around) but never turn over if its frosty or Ice, (saves wrecking the impellor vanes)
                  I usually have an hour on a sunday where I switch all systems on and check all is well ....... (while the wife dashes around Royal Quays )
                  The batteries often get low if its cold so a trickle charge for a day helps out.... there is the odd time in a warm spell that I get out for a run so never give up ......

Will be leaving clean-up until march/april so as to start the season as clean as possible.

See you next season no doubt

norm
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                  ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Not being an owner of a boat these are things you never think about. I just thought you left them in the water and everything was ok. It really is a labour of love. Hope you get new boat sorted Richie. Thought about you last Monday when I kept getting tangled in all the other anglers lines aboard Famous. Nee tangle when there is just three of you instead of a dozen.
                    Mick.
                    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                      Rich,

See you next season no doubt

norm
                      Maybe Norman but this time i am hoping not to have a boat come the start of the season...had a offer today of £10,600 but wnating more so holding out
                      ____[ ~ \_____
                      [__On-A-Roll__/
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      P.B
                      SKATE 204lb
                      COD 51lb
                      LING 32lb
                      TOPE 40lb
                      CONGER 25lb
                      HADDOCK 10lb
                      HALIBUT 37lb
                      COALIE 16lb
                      BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Ritchy,

I would have thought that was a fair offer considering it's the end of the season, bear in mind that you then have the cash to buy what you want, which as the fishing/boating season has ended will give you more bargaining power for your new boat.

I have just sold my boat last week, would have sold it for a lot more in may though, but sold it to a great guy from seaham area, sold it for £1500 less, but at least it has now gone, if i had of held on till next year may have got more, but it would also have been an year older.

Just something to think about!!

bob

Comment

Originally posted by boblydon View Post
                          Ritchy,

I would have thought that was a fair offer considering it's the end of the season, bear in mind that you then have the cash to buy what you want, which as the fishing/boating season has ended will give you more bargaining power for your new boat.

I have just sold my boat last week, would have sold it for a lot more in may though, but sold it to a great guy from seaham area, sold it for £1500 less, but at least it has now gone, if i had of held on till next year may have got more, but it would also have been an year older.

Just something to think about!!

bob
                          100% agree with Bob and dont forget you will save on moorings whilst you are beating up on others with low offers, november and december can be the time to grab a great bargain as someone may need the money to get through xmas, also End of january can be the same as the big winter bills land with the extra credit card bills from xmas all great times to get a bargain.

Sean
                          The beautifull South

Comment

In my opinion the boat's worth every penny of the asking price when consideration is given to how well it is maintained. Those Nanni engines are bullet proof and many of the Norfolk Broads charter boats have teens of thousands of hours on their engines. Furthermore, in response to the European ban on red diesel for non commercial boats, the European boat builders have significantly reduced production of their inboard diesel engine vessels in favour of outboard engines.
                            In a very short time, economical boats like Richie's will become much sought after because running an outboard will only get more expensive. The UK fuel prices will inevitably rise but we are clearly not embracing the European ban on red diesel so if you've got an inboard vessel you're in good shape. Another factor to consider is the favourable insurance on Richie's boat which is rated at less than 17 knots and therefore below the criteria for a speedboat.

Comment

Am not agreeing or disagreeing as to wether Ritchies boat is worth what he is asking, like a car, helicopter or whatever it is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for her.

I was merely suggesting that in my opinion, and at the end of the season it seemed a fair offer, especially as it would release the equity in the boat, therefore as a cash ready purchaser would give him good bargaining power to purchase what he is looking for.

Hopefully Ritchie gets his price and new boat, and when he does, all those fishys had better be on their guard.

Boat ownership is a very expensive affair, i have owned boats from 5k to 60k in the past 12/15 years, will miss having a boat but won't get another as now prefer my caravan, will still get me fix of boats working on them down at royal quays though.

So Drifter will you be putting in an offer on Stingray ???, will you be her new owner??.

Comment

Working...
                              X