Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi all .... Some advice / thoughts please. . I recently spent time boat fishing from Royal Quays wreck fishing ... I noticed some guys using a full fillet of macky and some using slithers .... I found presenting the macky difficult as when brought up was a lump dangling ... Some of the guys were re baiting with a fresh fillet after each drift over the wreck is that recommended ? Would using bait elastic be an option ? Some guys brought squid ... Can u use uncooked squid from supermarket or there a reason not to ? Any benefit of crab cart when boat fishing .... Thanks again

Using a fillet of mackerel a Flapper is ok if you have plenty good on a flowing trace for ling fished near the wreck as for squid from a supermarket yes as long as like you say uncooked i use bait elastic to help with most fish baits ATB Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by saltysam View Post
      Using a fillet of mackerel a Flapper is ok if you have plenty good on a flowing trace for ling fished near the wreck as for squid from a supermarket yes as long as like you say uncooked i use bait elastic to help with most fish baits ATB Hope this helps
      I personally think most flappers are too big. I cannot see any correlation between baitsize and ling-size.

Even the smallest ling can take a full mackerel flapper and on the flip side I have caught big ling on small mackerel stripes or a 4inch shad.

Indeed one of the biggest ling ever in Whitby took a 4inch shad.

That already answers the question I hope. I do best with a 3ft trace of 50+ momo tied to the swivel. I use a 4/0 treble and use 3 thin stripes of fresh mackerel. Its a very similar setup to shad fishing...just a treble instead of a shad.

One tip: Once you had a tangled line the mono tends to tangle again and again. Time well spend to replace the whole trace

Regarding freshness...unless you are short in mackerel supply, I would replace my bait at every drift.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X