No announcement yet.

Not Long Now Till The Whiting Bashing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Long Now Till The Whiting Bashing!

If last year is anything to go by, wont be long before the whiting start showing in there numbers, but hope there are at least a few cod around this winter. Not one cod caught on the boat I go out from last year, from the end of November, all the way through to around April/May. How have the cod numbers on the wrecks compared to last year? Could it be a decent Winter?
    Species List: Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Mackerel, Eel, Spurdog, Butterfish, Plaice, Poor Cod, Dab, Lamprey (Hag Fish) Ling, Scorpion Fish, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Thornback Ray, Pollack, Pouting, Flounder, Wrasse.

CONGER AND GURNARD DESPERATLEY WANTED TO BE ADDED!

Originally posted by SeanStar85 View Post
    If last year is anything to go by, wont be long before the whiting start showing in there numbers, but hope there are at least a few cod around this winter. Not one cod caught on the boat I go out from last year, from the end of November, all the way through to around April/May. How have the cod numbers on the wrecks compared to last year? Could it be a decent Winter?
    Hit and miss on the wrecks for cod, but there are loads of whities about on the boats...

Comment

Can only speak for my boat but i ahve seen 300% more cod this year than last year but i would say i have seen a 40% reduction in Ling numbers and a 50% reduction in doubles on the previous year..

The H.F comp at the marina was won with a fish of 15lb 12oz and thats a new lowest winning record.....i failed to land a fish over 15lb all season with the best being a cod of 14lb 9oz.

I would say it has been a far better year than 2012 but still not a patch on 2010 and 2011.

The weather has been much improved this year thou and in turn the water has been far clearer. This weekend coming looks to be the last weekend on my boat before i pack up for the winter months.
      ................__................................ .............................
      ____[ ~ \_____
      [__On-A-Roll__/
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      P.B
      SKATE 204lb
      COD 51lb
      LING 32lb
      TOPE 40lb
      CONGER 25lb
      HADDOCK 10lb
      HALIBUT 37lb
      COALIE 16lb
      BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Hopefully more cod than whiting this winter its knee deep with codling 1-2lb at the moment ,this winter should be belter for the shore angler and the boat angler if all the sighns are anything to go going by the results in scarborogh angling festival on the 21st september shore fishing match over 40lb of codling won the match for the top angler on the day and remember this was off the rocks from bempton.

Event 3

Bob Yarker Trophy

Roving Competition

64 fished 48 weighed in

1 Mark Thomas 41-12-8
        2 Matthew Hillaby 33-11-6
        3 Steve Ianson 32-14-4
        4 Paul Medd 28-11-12
        5 Monty Burton 15-14-12
        6 Ray Maddison 13-14-12
        7 Dave Gyte 13-2-8
        8 Malcolm Skelton 12-13-8
        9 Dave Bielby 12-10-2
        10 Pete Dunn 11-2-8
        Last edited by big cod; 02-10-2013, 05:03 AM.
        http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Comment

hope not, i think id be dissapointed with a whiting after the amount of codling that have been hoovering up me bait

Comment

That sounds good to me, especially the 300% increase in cod from last year, its always nice to bring any type of fish up onto the boat, but last year getting into whiting after whiting was rather tedious.

I do remember last year for some reason also, there were quite a lot of plaice knocking about in the winter, none massive in size, just average.

Well this weekend is looking promising for getting out, with south westerleys due Saterday and Sunday, it could be my last chance to get a few more mackerel in, before they disappear again.

A nice big sized cod would go along with that nicely but have had no luck with catching any double figure cod this season, tried everything, shads, pirks, hokkais, squids, but hopefully the winter brings me one. Personally the fish I prefer, taste wise and many may disagree, is pouting.
            Species List: Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Mackerel, Eel, Spurdog, Butterfish, Plaice, Poor Cod, Dab, Lamprey (Hag Fish) Ling, Scorpion Fish, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Thornback Ray, Pollack, Pouting, Flounder, Wrasse.

Comment

Originally posted by northeast1 View Post
              Can only speak for my boat but i ahve seen 300% more cod this year than last year but i would say i have seen a 40% reduction in Ling numbers and a 50% reduction in doubles on the previous year..

The H.F comp at the marina was won with a fish of 15lb 12oz and thats a new lowest winning record.....i failed to land a fish over 15lb all season with the best being a cod of 14lb 9oz.

I would say it has been a far better year than 2012 but still not a patch on 2010 and 2011.

The weather has been much improved this year thou and in turn the water has been far clearer. This weekend coming looks to be the last weekend on my boat before i pack up for the winter months.
              Looks like I better make the most of Saturday then. Pleeeeeeeeease Let it be a good One.
              Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Well this weekend is right off, north easterleys are battering the sea and its set to continue. Hopefully it will all settle down for next weekend, so a can test out me new rigs and catch a few fash hopefully.

Comment

Yer dont look good, i am just happy i dont need to check the weather sites three times a day until end of March now..bliss
                  ................__................................ .............................
                  ____[ ~ \_____
                  [__On-A-Roll__/
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  P.B
                  SKATE 204lb
                  COD 51lb
                  LING 32lb
                  TOPE 40lb
                  CONGER 25lb
                  HADDOCK 10lb
                  HALIBUT 37lb
                  COALIE 16lb
                  BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Ha know what you mean Richie, am obsessed with the MET office application on me phone, with Wednesday morning being the big day each week, as you get the five day forecast for Sunday.

I will still be checking it day by day throughout the winter, will be posting on here about any good results we have, have a good winter mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X