Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing rings on boat rod..HELP!!!

Hello gents.

I\'ve decided to replace the tip and butt ring (sure you know what I mean) on my Penn Senator 20-40lb boat rod. They are rollers and obviously no good for use with braid, especially as I\'ve just found out they\'re seized up. I\'ve just whipped the scalpel out and cut away the varnish to find out that first guide seams to be attached using epoxy. This is going to take ages to cut away and possibly require a few trips to casualty. Has anybody got any good ideas/experience of removing this guide without knackering the rod? Just hoping that the tip is only superglued otherwise I\'m in trouble.

Cheers.

WD40 should free off the rollers but if not your tip eye should be glued with hot melt glue, so warm it up with a lighter and this will melt the glue then simply pull it off.The new eye the same melt the glue stick on the rod and push on the eye,Hot melt glues can be bought at tackle shops.
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/nerhs/p.jpg

Comment

Cheers John. I\'ve just read somewhere that heat from a hairdryer may soften the epoxy enough to be able to cut it away from the bottom ring. I\'ll give it a bash at the weekend. At least the tip ring should be simple enough to do.

Comment

Sorted. My fears about it being held with epoxy were unfounded. It was just LOADS of very hard varnish. Simply sliced into the area I wanted to remove and then got the hairdryer on to it. It went soft and I just peeled it off. Don\'t know what the rings were held on with though. It wasn\'t whipping thread, it was more like a really thick plastic tape. John, the lighter on the tip of the rod worked a treat (only burnt myself twice!)...cheers. Now to order the new rings and varnish.

Comment

Working...
        X