When will the season start again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will the season start again

Hi lads its went really quiet out there now I'm just wondering when the fishing usually picks up again this is my first year out there I'm fishing off Amble.

All the best
    Chris

Anytime from mid March until early May, all depends on the winter we have but i always aim for the second week in April as my start date.
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

The season hasn't really finished yet but it's sure tailing off. The reason it's gone quiet is because of a number of factors i.e. the very big tides, very dirty water and strong winds. When the water clears and the wind drops we'll pick up a few more fish before the month's out. Many of the boat lads fish throughout the winter months but they usually drop anchor and "uptide".
      There's some decent fish about in February but the spring run kick starts the season proper and whilst it was late this year it can start any time from early March through to late April. There will be a quiet two week period during the spring run when the Cod begin spawning but when they recover it's fill ya boots time. In late May / early June many of the Cod will move from the rough inshore ground to the various wrecks, reefs and holding features and that's when it gets really interesting. The rough inshore ground will always hold fish but for the bigger Cod, Ling and Pollock you really need to be out amongst the wrecks.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm gutted i wish i had my boat in earlier I think I will still try and get out in the winter i just like being out there, are the wrecks the only place you might get lucky now? I'm still a bit wary about going out to the wrecks because there quite a way out, my boat is running well but I haven't pushed it to far

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
          Thanks guys, I'm gutted i wish i had my boat in earlier I think I will still try and get out in the winter i just like being out there, are the wrecks the only place you might get lucky now? I'm still a bit wary about going out to the wrecks because there quite a way out, my boat is running well but I haven't pushed it to far
          Every year Richie packs in around this time, others still fish and do well. but you have to either go for clear water and that could be upwards of 20/30 miles out or sit inshore and bait fish, both are not Richies cup of tea so he packs in for the winter.

I fished the other year on Xmas eve and went 35 miles out and filled the boat with cod off the wrecks. inshore my mate went uptiding and had over 15 fish all around the 5 to 7lb mark so in the winter they are still here.

I personally find that march till end of april is the worst time for the boats.

the winter is about finding clear water, and if its couloured and just after a good stir up then bait fish inshore.

Hope this helps

Sean
          The beautifull South

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
            Hi lads its went really quiet out there now I'm just wondering when the fishing usually picks up again this is my first year out there I'm fishing off Amble.

All the best
            Chris
            Season not over yet.

October can be excellent for wreck fishing if the weather lets you. The mackerels have become sporadic and the ling like mackerel. If you find a day with calm conditions and clear water, the wrecks and 4-6 mile roughs can be full of cod

November-January: Inshore uptiding when the tides are big and the water is mucky. Fill your bait freezer up with Cart now, but the few days where its calm and the tides are small can get excellent wreck fishing

Feb-Easter: I will get my boat out and refurbish/service it. Its cold and it is pretty bad fishing. However...the odd good day has been seen

Easter until Mackerel arrival: Thousands of small cod up to 10lb (averaging 2-4) come inshore. A good day of shadding can produce good bags.

Mackerels in (June until Sep)As soon as the mackies arrive, the cod vanish inshore.
            This is by far the best time of the year as every fishing trip contains of mackerel catching and wrecks. Enormously successful. The mackerels usually arrive early June. However...this year it was July. And my-god was July/August/September good. I hardly needed to leave the first wreck and we boated double figures Cod and ling. I think all of us caught their new PB thsi season. And even without the wrecks, inshore mackerel fishing just 1/2 mile out in glorious sunshine can be great.

I think the different seasons are the spice on our hobby. It would be dull, if it remains the same all season.

We boat anglers like to understand and react to the different physical, biological and meteorolocical challenges.

Nothing is more satisfying than to come up with a good plan----AND CATCH

Comment

historically(40 years) amble does not fish well in the winter months,ie now till the beginning of may.
              yet when they can get off the hartlepool tyne boats get fish

obviously there are exceptions to this,and im sure someone at amble has boated loadsa fish in the middle of winter
              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Like I said in a previous post, winter for me equals, whiting, whiting and more whiting. Decent size if last year is anything to go by. We just anchor up not far from north shields pier on the rough ground and let the fish come to us. There were days last year where the boat were taking around 60/70 good whiting a trip. But catching whiting all day can get a bit boring, but a fish is a fish.
                Species List: Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Mackerel, Eel, Spurdog, Butterfish, Plaice, Poor Cod, Dab, Lamprey (Hag Fish) Ling, Scorpion Fish, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Thornback Ray, Pollack, Pouting, Flounder, Wrasse.

CONGER AND GURNARD DESPERATLEY WANTED TO BE ADDED!

Comment

Some very good advice there mate, so like said, if the weather is good over the coming months, give it a go inshore if you're unsure of going far out.
                  One thing though, Cart is illegal to use north of the tyne.
                  P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Originally posted by canman View Post
                    Some very good advice there mate, so like said, if the weather is good over the coming months, give it a go inshore if you're unsure of going far out.
                    One thing though, Cart is illegal to use north of the tyne.
                    I might be mistaken but is cart not only illegal from the shore (north of Tyne ??

Comment

Wouldn't like to argue on that one, but the way I understood it is, You can't verify if it was sourced locally or not and is taking away local "potters" livelihood!!! I believe also, it can't be used as pot bait for lobsters etc:
                      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

This might make me sound thick, but whats cart?
                        Species List: Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Mackerel, Eel, Spurdog, Butterfish, Plaice, Poor Cod, Dab, Lamprey (Hag Fish) Ling, Scorpion Fish, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Thornback Ray, Pollack, Pouting, Flounder, Wrasse.

Comment

Not that we've used it but gets good reports a little south ie whitby area .......
                          basically the bits of an edible crab that are not eaten by us ....... made into frozen packs like sausages ......

see here .... Cart Bait - Fantastic New Bait For Cod Fishing And Uptiding

hope this helps ..

norm
                          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Looks a good bait like, can imagine it releases a load of scent in the water, cheers for the info.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Good to see you've been getting out again, I've been fishing the west coast but hope to get up to Amble in early November. We've fished in midwinter off Amble and usually get something but it can be quiet, usually fish Craster to Cresswall with frozen peeler,blackworm, razor clams,squid etc.

The advice you've got on this website seems pretty sound to me, the spring season starts when the fish arrive which seems to be at a different time every year!

I suppose in winter it the sea's flat and the temperature's not too far below zero it's definitely worth a try.

See you afloat

Colin H

Comment

Working...
                              X