help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

I am thinking of buying a boat next year a quicksilver pilothouse not sure which model yet but i have no knowledge of the electronics ie fish finder chart plotters and the like could anyone show me the ropes please

Originally posted by big mac View Post
    I am thinking of buying a boat next year a quicksilver pilothouse not sure which model yet but i have no knowledge of the electronics ie fish finder chart plotters and the like could anyone show me the ropes please
    My opinion:

There are two kinds of gadgets

1. Security associated: GPS, radio, lights
    2. Fish-n-fun: fishfinder, plotter, stereo, heater etc

All depends on how you use the boat and how your experience at sea is.

How far do you go out. Do you go out alone? Do you wreckfish or mainly anchor inshore

I personally think a good fishfinder/plotter is a tremendous asset to find wrecks and drift them well. Raymarine is my recommendation. The Dragonfly is a nice starter, but you can spend much more.

I have got a radio, but the mobile phones have almost made them surplus. Indeed I use an iphone not only to communicate with others and the marina, I also use it via the Navionics app to navigate. One might think that an IPAD could be tremendous for that purpose, but my controls are in open air and not in a cabin, so subject to water. If I had a cabin controls, I would install an IPAD stand and run Navionics and wreckfinder on it.

Comment

Thanks

I have been fishing from boats for 30 years but have limited knowledge i want to understand what everything does and be safe when i am out

Comment

Where you from ? Always willing to help a newbe
        Cheers Bert

Comment

Newcastle but i would be able to meet any where thanks

Comment

good idea to register your vessel with the coastguard,in the event of mishap they know exactly what they looking for.ie size colour hull etc.

also regardless of how up to date your mobile phone ismake sure you have a marine ship to shore radio
            AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
            X