were have they gone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• were have they gone ?

had a trip out on boat this morning me and my mate john full of great expectations headed three mile out to see if I could get mackerel or any thing else not a thing tried a few wrecks nothing tried hard ground nothing next to piers nothing headed in about two oclock bait used rag squid mussel first time ive blanked on boat hope its the last

They heard i had sold my boat, so have disappeared till i get another one, then they will come back...

Probably just needs a stir up, then get out as soon as poss get out there..

Comment

Probably down to tatics

Morning was ebbtide and wind came with tide...I guess it was a drift of over 1.5 knots+ . Plus the heavy tide stirs up the dirt.
      In my exp that does not work. Only way around It is to go seriously offshore, something like 15 miles and depth of 60m plus.

Best at the moment in my opinion is uptiding inshore until the tides ease and the water clears.

Would be pleasantly surprised if mackies are still around.

Comment

the water was clear three mile out thought we would of hit something just goes to show never two days alike still was nice to get out

Comment

Originally posted by GARYGERNARD View Post
          the water was clear three mile out thought we would of hit something just goes to show never two days alike still was nice to get out
          The water might appear clear at the surface but down at the bottom the silt gets stirred up by the tide.

Comment

Originally posted by Kartonkel View Post
            Probably down to tatics

Morning was ebbtide and wind came with tide...I guess it was a drift of over 1.5 knots+ . Plus the heavy tide stirs up the dirt.
            In my exp that does not work. Only way around It is to go seriously offshore, something like 15 miles and depth of 60m plus.

Best at the moment in my opinion is uptiding inshore until the tides ease and the water clears.

Norbert, is that 15 miles offshore or uptiding inshore??#

Come on mate, they tried, they failed, no need to get all technical on them!!
            2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by Kartonkel View Post
              Probably down to tatics

I have done well this time of year after a blow. Either very tight inshore using uptide tactics. or going 20 to 30 miles off.

Sean
              The beautifull South

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                Norbert, is that 15 miles offshore or uptiding inshore??#

Come on mate, they tried, they failed, no need to get all technical on them!!
                Mark, fishing is not luck !

If you go out on a 5.5m tide and also have the wind with tide, there is a higher chance to knock a cod dead with you lead than catching one. The lads probably had a drift of 3 knots that day ! That is 5.4 km/h or 1,5 m/s. Drift fishing in those kind of speeds IMO only works in chrystal clear water...it is virtually trolling.

The way out is to either fish at slack water, anchor inshore or go way offshore.

The tides offshore have a far smaller inpact than inshore and in shallow waters.

That explanation hopefully made my post less ludicrous.

Check out the catch reports from Whitby: They cought well inshore uptiding (Mistress, Sea Otter) or going seriously offshore (Shy Torque)

Comment

sapph33

why go out plenty inshore 10mts ?
                  Sapphire Charters Sunderland, Wreck, Reef, Rough Ground, Winter Up Tide, COP 60miles, Fully Licensed & Insured, Tea & Coffee, Toilet, Ring me Peter Skipper 07903454745

Comment

Originally posted by sapph33 View Post
                    why go out plenty inshore 10mts ?
                    We know that Peter, but some anglers like wreck fishing and hate uptiding.

Comment

I love my uptiding I do quite well with it but I know loads of lads ....and skippers who will not entertain it its obviously up to persons personal choice everyone is different. I think that driftingb3 mile off in a 5.5 isnt going to catch u any fish this time of year but hey ho the lads tried but failed.....just put it down to a learning curve everyone been there just remember if ya looking to uptide ...... drop anchor further up from ya chosen spot this will let drift back over to your ledge

Comment

mackarel were about at 3 mile mark a week ago
                        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
                        X