bonwitco 10.6 ft boat advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bonwitco 10.6 ft boat advice

just purchased a bowitco 10.6 ft boat made from fiberglass with a mercury 200 (blue) 20 hp outboard motor this is my first boat and im looking for advice on how far i could take it out and where from (i live in walker) also do i need insurance and best place to get it from if so also i might need a new fuel line for the motor where is the best place the tank is metal and has bayonet fittings#

also any other advice anyonecan give me please help
    big andy

I think you'll need public liability insurance if you wanna use the slip at south shields or cullercoats to launch.

Try here for a quote.

I don't think I'd like to go over the bar (between the piers) in a 10ft boat unless it was totally flat calm.

Not sure about your fuel line, you could try Storrar marine on the coast road.

Cheers, Keith.

Comment

fuel lines/connectors can be had from any chandlers or ebay. Personally I'd think about a new tank as well. metal tanks are great, but prone to condensation on the inside, and bits of rust, all of which will ultimately end up working its way to the carbs, especially if its an old tank, which being metal it probably is! Don't know if the oil companies have changed the formulation of petrol recently, but I've heard of loads of outboards that have had problems this year from dirty fuel getting from the tank to the carbs. easy to fix on dry land, but not so easy bouncing around at sea

you need public liability for shileds but not that I'm aware for Cullercoats, but its worth having, more for covering anything you might accidentally run in to!
      ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
      Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

im 99% certain we needed insurance to launch from cullercoats as well as an annual fee of about £20.
        was 10 year ago mind !

Comment

used cullercoats a few times over the last 2 or 3 years and apart from feckwits on jetskis, never seen anyone or been asked for either!
          ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

like kieth says i would nt go past the piers either, even if it is flat calm it can sharp change, we had such a frightener like that in a 17ft bayliner, went out flat calm, drifted a bit , then all changed water coming over the bow, shizing ourselves, best to stay in the bay, or just up and down the river

cheers
            glen
            clingons on the starboard side

Comment

You would need a back up engine and the usual safety gear. Once you get out to sea it can be quite nerve racking the first few times but with a reliable engine, sturdy boat and good back up it makes those days less nervy. But dont ever be to complacent as it has a habit of biting back.
              I thought starting out that a couple of oars would do the job as a back up but you've no chance.
              Be worth having a word with some lads who own boats to have look and have a trip out with you.

Good luck mate its great to be out there on a nice summers day flat calm and loads of fish, rare but nice !

Cant go far wrong with Ebay for your bits and bobs

Comment

lots of sound advice ,andy would be careful around the tyne regardless of the weather theres some big traffic goes through and you need to watch for the wash and strong currents.
                you may be better on a good day to use somewhere like cullercoats,amble, newbiggin etc.

Comment

Working...
                X