Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tides offshore

One for the boat owners:

I find it somewhat hard to predict the tide times further out, lets say 5 miles. Do tides change earlier or later....?

Is there a webpage or formular to work it out?

The tides are later and even the yellow can off Whitley Bay can be an hour different the tidal situation on the shoreline.

Comment

Surely it is earlier on the flood and later on the ebb? No idea how to work it out though!
      2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
        Surely it is earlier on the flood and later on the ebb? No idea how to work it out though!
        i do believe it is always later mark,with quite a variation depending on where you are located,ie miles from shore and north or south
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

you need a paper chart , find the nearest tidal diamond and it will tell flow rate and direction throughout the full range of tides, it should also on be on gps if you place cursor on tidal diamond and click info

Comment

Just to complicate things, the direction changes an hour and a half to two hours after high and low water. Around the Tyne it floods south until HW+2 then ebbs north until LW+2.

Comment

The tide changes when the boat stops drifting in one direction and starts drifting in the other , trying to work out precisely when this will happen at any given point on the chart is futile , well it is for me anyway , I've given up trying to time landing on a wreck at slack water or whenever, it just never happens the way it should

Comment

Working...
              X