charter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charter

Is any charters doing any trips out next week preferably weekday out of the tyne or wear thanks

Any Joy Peter ? Have u tried JFK or Misstress out of North Shields ? I've been trying to get out too

Comment

Do a bit of christmas shopping rather...

There is that nasty westerly wind around for most days until christmas.

Only viable alternative is to find a skipper who does uptiding, which can be great fun, but its not too dissimilar to shore fishing

Comment

Well Norbert, apart from the warm cabin, toilet, tea/coffee, distance from the shore and ability to try lots of marks I suppose it is!
        2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
          Well Norbert, apart from the warm cabin, toilet, tea/coffee,at distance from the shore and ability to try lots of marks I suppose it is!
          I do a fair bit of uptiding on my boat. The best catches are usually under 10m water and less than 500m inshore.
          Bait, tackle, tactics virtually identical to pier fishing

Also we try not to move too much. We set the anchor and sit it out usually as the fishing picks up with time and all those baits going down.

I just mentioned it, because a lot of anglers want to go out to the wrecks and grounds and not anchor 500m off a cliff for 50£, whilst the pier comes for free

Coffe/tea: shore anglers have it!
          Toilet: :-) thats Lynn....nobody else needs one

Comment

Originally posted by Kartonkel View Post
            I do a fair bit of uptiding on my boat. The best catches are usually under 10m water and less than 500m inshore.
            Bait, tackle, tactics virtually identical to pier fishing

Also we try not to move too much. We set the anchor and sit it out usually as the fishing picks up with time and all those baits going down.

I just mentioned it, because a lot of anglers want to go out to the wrecks and grounds and not anchor 500m off a cliff for 50£, whilst the pier comes for free

Coffe/tea: shore anglers have it!
            Toilet: :-) thats Lynn....nobody else needs one
            Hehe I can't cast 500m Norbert, I struggle for 50! I need a toilet and a warm cabin because I an a sissy! I quite like uptiding, only tried it twice, missed more bites than I caught.......by a lot. The skipper managed to hook up with almost all of his!

I remember 3 summers ago we booked a charter out of Bridlington and when I phoned to book I asked if it was wreck fishing, the skipper said it was. The day we went out the weather was beautiful and the boat had 6 people fishing. Us and a family of four. We went out about half a mile east and about the same offshore and proceeded to catch mackerel and whiting from the off. The family were delighted. After about an hour into the trip I politely asked if we would be trying some wrecks. The skipper said, "no point until the tide changes in two hours." Two hours later after catching what looked to be the same bloody whiting each drop I asked again about the wreck. The skipper turned to the family and said " Do you want to try a wreck or two much further out where there might be no fish, or stay here where the sport is?" He turned to me and said, "sorry mate, you have been out voted! An hour later, 4 into the 6 hours he turned to the family and said " If you want to go in now I will knock £20 off the cost." So in we went two hours early, we also got £10 off so ONLY paid £100! The most expensive mackerel of all time and will never ever go out with him again!! So I understand anglers being wary of going out a few hundred yards, but if they are experienced they will understand.
            Last edited by kayos; 13-12-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Hehe I can't cast 500m Norbert, I struggle for 50! I need a toilet and a warm cabin because I an a sissy! I quite like uptiding, only tried it twice, missed more bites than I caught.......by a lot. The skipper managed to hook up with almost all of his!
              but you can walk onto a pier.....I hope!

I have been uptiding very very close to the shore...way closer than the length of the pier.

For me the real use of uptiding is that I can go fishing when the weather and tides don't allow wreckfishing

Examples:

Tide too big
              Strong offshore (westerly) winds
              Dirty water
              Not much time
              Evenings with no daylight in winter
              January/February when the wrecks are vacated

Whenever I can get a good drift over a 5 mile wreck at good weather, I pushbthe throttle, hide the anchor and head offshore.

For me there is no competition...wreckfishing wins comfortably over uptiding

Comment

but you can walk onto a pier.....I hope!

I have been uptiding very very close to the shore...way closer than the length of the pier.

For me the real use of uptiding is that I can go fishing when the weather and tides don't allow wreckfishing

Examples:

Tide too big
                Strong offshore (westerly) winds
                Dirty water
                Not much time
                Evenings with no daylight in winter
                January/February when the wrecks are vacated

Whenever I can get a good drift over a 5 mile wreck at good weather, I pushbthe throttle, hide the anchor and head offshore.

For me there is no competition...wreckfishing wins comfortably over uptiding
                Indeed, or at least decent rough ground drifting. However uptiding is a good option when the conditions are rough. All this talk of boat fishing is making me sad again that we missed getting down in October this year! It's a bloody long time until April!!

Comment

Indeed, or at least decent rough ground drifting. However uptiding is a good option when the conditions are rough. All this talk of boat fishing is making me sad again that we missed getting down in October this year! It's a bloody long time until April!!
                  You tell me, Mark

I have a boat moored 500m from my bedroom and the damn weather plus the damn job stops me using it !!!

Plus the fish-free time (Feb/March) is approaching fast.

I already spend far too much for parts and tackle already when the fishing is poor!

In the entire November and December I had one decent day on the wrecks!

Comment

Just being out fishing is enough .... Catching is a bonus .... I would go out anytime fish nor none

Comment

I know, but at least you live in an area that does actually have fish!

I live roughly the same distance from the Clyde, which in my youth produced huge cod, haddock, saithe and pollock to name but a few, but is now devoid of fish! Hence 3 weeks, at least a year to the NE!

Comment

Originally posted by Skingz View Post
                        Just being out fishing is enough .... Catching is a bonus .... I would go out anytime fish nor none
                        I used to think that too, but since then I have had so many blanks I'm now not so sure!

Comment

That does not apply for boat fishing most of the year. The limiting factor is the weather not the fish

...and fishing on a boat at 30 knots wind and/or 3m swell is not much fun but suicidal

Comment

Do a bit of christmas shopping rather...

There is that nasty westerly wind around for most days until christmas.

Only viable alternative is to find a skipper who does uptiding, which can be great fun, but its not too dissimilar to shore fishing
                            No disrespect but whether uptiding is the same as shore fishing as long as you are catching fish it doesnt matter whether you are wrecking or uptiding a good angler will divercify either way this winter has seem a massive exposion of cod between 1-3 lb plus some good doubles as well turning up we have been averageing 50 -100 cod perday uptiding just dont see any point steaming over the top of fish .
                            Plus the water clarityl is rubbish now offshore after the last big storm making wrecking very hard work indeed a lot of shore anglers who have never tryed uptiding would be hooked instantly if they tryed it its fasntastic sport catching fish in shallow water especially the doubles.

paul.
                            Last edited by big cod; 14-12-2013, 10:50 AM.
                            http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Comment

OK if you only go out once in a while. I love messing about in my boat, but, if you have got/bought good bait, tried a few marks, and not had a bite, well, to say I'd be disappointed is an understatement.
                              On those calm sunny warm days offshore or inshore, and your not catching...............frustrating is what I call it.
                              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                              X