boat rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boat rigs

looking to start boat fishing in 2014 and wanting to advance from feathers and hokkais. what sort of rigs should i have to be able to cover boat fishing situations and what sort of lengths and strengths ? Thx in advance folks
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Nobody replied, so I will do it

I personally get away with mainly one rig for boat fishing, which is the standard shad-rig.

Use 40lb braid and depending on tide and depth a 6-14 oz sinker on a heavy svivel. Then tie a 3ft mono leader (40lb on roughs and 60-80 on wrecks) to the top eye of the swivel

var.1: tie a shad to the end

var 2: tie a penel 2 hooks 4/0 and 6/0 to it and use mackerel or other bait

var 3: tie a 4/0 - 6/0 treble to the end and use bait (that is my principle summer ling rig)

I hardly ever use anything else. I also never carry pre-tied rigs. I have svivels, mono, shads and hooks available and always tie it new

One alternative is what I call a Whitby rig (its probably called different)

Again use 40lb braid and tie a svivel to it, then a 3-4 foot mono leader and a svivel/ring at the end with a 8-14lb lead. in the middle form 0ne or two loops and thus you have a paternoster rig, which might be less snaggy on the wrecks. I hardly use it, but my mates do. I reckon they get the same number of snags and less fish

Comment

cheers kartonkel , the rigs must be more secret than cod and bas marks lol. so am i right in thinking that its a paternoster of sorts with a braided body ? is there anyreason braid is preferred as the rig body ?
      Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
      Kompressor SS /slosh30
      tt sport /525 mag

Comment

I only carry 3 types of rigs...... Hokkais, Muppets and Shads....

As Kartonkel says, keep the rigs simple and always tie your own knots....

There are plenty sites with descriptions and rig tying tips,

one example..

Look forward to the reports mate....

Comment

Nothing complicated or top secret about boat rigs...learn to tie a stand off loop and you can then tie your own three hook rigs

Also 3 way swivel rigs in a long flowing trace can be used to fish shads or baited hooks from 6/0 to 10/0 for inshore Cod or big Ling

Bait is squid, mussel, mackerel, bluey...anything you like!
          Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
          I AGREE

Comment

Black Hokkai shrimp are a killer up Craster way, never fail on those. White or rhubarb and custard shad also a good option tipped with dirty squid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadji Kareem View Post
              Black Hokkai shrimp are a killer up Craster way, never fail on those. White or rhubarb and custard shad also a good option tipped with dirty squid.
              How come you never catch
              Owt then

Comment

How do you know?? You get seasick walking over a damp lawn. "Kev, Kev, do you think Dave will take me back to the harbour I don't feel well"! I'm a poorly boy!!!

Comment

boat rigs

Hi Mate
                  heres a few i made up over the weekend - 50lb line 6/0 hook tryed these over the Summer on my boat trips out of Amble bigest fish were a 9lb Ling and a 6lb Cod on these rigs so i know they work. My two mates also had some nice fish useing these. Also make up my own Macky rigs, dont bye shop ones anymore saves a lot of money making your own.

john.
                  Attached Files
                  One More Hoy

Comment

Originally posted by Fishygone View Post
                    Hi Mate
                    heres a few i made up over the weekend - 50lb line 6/0 hook tryed these over the Summer on my boat trips out of Amble bigest fish were a 9lb Ling and a 6lb Cod on these rigs so i know they work. My two mates also had some nice fish useing these. Also make up my own Macky rigs, dont bye shop ones anymore saves a lot of money making your own.

john.
                    Can I ask where you get all the bits to make up the rigs and what size hooks are they?

Thanks
                    A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

boat rigs

Hi
                      i use shrink tube - plastic milk bottles - parra cord - washing line - flexie tube 3 4 5 mm - 5/0 6/0 hooks - super glue - sparkle nail varnish & clear nail varnish to finnish off.

john.
                      Attached Files
                      One More Hoy

Comment

Highland fishing tackle is a good place for cheap 6/0 hooks and shads

Comment

Originally posted by Fishygone View Post
                          Hi
                          i use shrink tube - plastic milk bottles - parra cord - washing line - flexie tube 3 4 5 mm - 5/0 6/0 hooks - super glue - sparkle nail varnish & clear nail varnish to finnish off.

john.
                          Many thanks, some good ideas there
                          A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

Heres a few ideas

bert gray's cod killing daylights part 2 - YouTube
                            Cheers Bert

Comment

bert gray's cod killing daylights part 1 - YouTube
                              Cheers Bert

Comment

Working...
                              X