Antifoul Colour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifoul Colour.

I was reading that Red antifoul is supposed to be the best colour as it deters growth, and white is the worst. Has anybody got any views on this through trying diffrent colours on their boat

Originally posted by The Jester View Post
    I was reading that Red antifoul is supposed to be the best colour as it deters growth, and white is the worst. Has anybody got any views on this through trying diffrent colours on their boat
    Why don't you paint a side in each and see which ones best after a year..could be interesting and the boat at least will look interesting :-)

Comment

Originally posted by stevie.walker View Post
      Why don't you paint a side in each and see which ones best after a year..could be interesting and the boat at least will look interesting :-)
      I would be the talk of the marina but i like your thinking...

Comment

Wouldn't work, my boat has coppercoat and doesn't get any growth , but the last one was bare hull and grew a full set in no time.........BUT!! .... The side facing the sun always got more than the shaded side , so you'd have to go every day and turn the boat round to make it even, but then it might be sunny alternate days
        Just put coppercoat on

Comment

What is the price of copper coat our days and could you do the pre work and two coats within a week?

May be a option for the next boat as everyone seems to love it once finished.
          ................__................................ .............................
          ____[ ~ \_____
          [__On-A-Roll__/
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          P.B
          SKATE 204lb
          COD 51lb
          LING 32lb
          TOPE 40lb
          CONGER 25lb
          HADDOCK 10lb
          HALIBUT 37lb
          COALIE 16lb
          BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by oldessox View Post
            Wouldn't work, my boat has coppercoat and doesn't get any growth , but the last one was bare hull and grew a full set in no time.........BUT!! .... The side facing the sun always got more than the shaded side , so you'd have to go every day and turn the boat round to make it even, but then it might be sunny alternate days
            Just put coppercoat on
            Havnt got a boat yet Ray, but with the other boat me and Allan put it on the trailer and blasted it off every 6 weeks during the summer then back in the water.

Coppercoat for bigger boats is well worth it to save lifting out, but a lick of International for a boat the size i will be getting should be enough....

What is a rough cost of coppercoat Ray There are no prices on the internet...

Comment

got a quote for mine 9mtr boat £4500 ,tin of antifoul £60 copper coat supposed to last 10 years,you still have to lightly sand hull every year,you dont save on liftouts as you still have to have boat lifted to clean props change anodes or service drives.

Comment

Seen a few boats now where the antifouling is like a silicone based resin and boats when lifted only required a good power jet on the hull as to normal scrubbing with standard antifouling , will look it up

Comment

few folks using a friendly diver for routine stuff such as prop cleans annode changes etc,nowadays
                  AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

International intersleek, obviously what colour you thinks best

Comment

Coppercoat works out at approximately £85 per ltr but there's sometimes deals to be had from the boat shows etc. The Coppercoat website has an interactive tool that calculates the amount of Coppercoat necessary for a given size of hull at a minimum of 4 coats which has to be applied "wet on tacky" all in one day. (I reckon an Arvor 215 will need 4lts)
                      The old antifoul will have to be removed down to the gelcoat which has to be abraded in order to provide a good key. The ambient temperature when applying the Coppercoat must be above 8c or perhaps 10c so it's not a job to tackle over the winter months.
                      It's great stuff with a guarantee of over 10 years and they claim there's many vessels going strong at 15 years with no sign of deterioration.
                      My boat was done 4 years ago and I'm very happy with the results, there's no more rubbing down and she's back in the water within two days. There's always a very slight covering of slime when I lift her out but it comes straight of with the jet wash. The initial outlay is significant Vs standard antifoul but over time it will save money as well as avoiding the graft associated with replacing the conventional antifoul every year or so.

Comment

I can't remember what I payed for the coppercoat, but it's great stuff, it was nowhere near £4,000 though , I think somewhere near £1k , I have lifted the boat a few times since and just get the slime jet washed off , the lads in the boatyard always tell me to rub the coppercoat over with sandpaper before relaunch , but I've never done so, and the results have been the same each time , a thin coat of slime which washes off with a pressure washer.
                        The part of the engine mount that is always submerged grows a good beard which I scrub off every so often in the marina with a long handled scrubbing brush , so the coppercoat is definitely working.
                        Coppercoat is epoxy resin with fine copper granules added, the copper is poisonous to plant life. There is a legal maximum amount of copper granules you are allowed to mix into the epoxy, the more you put in the better it works , so putting the max amount in is advisable , or so I believe
                        If I was buying a new boat again, I'd definitely have it coppercoated.
                        Obviously the boat needs lifted for servicing etc , but so far the hull has only needed a quick inspection whilst she's ashore to make sure all is well underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by oldessox View Post
                          I can't remember what I payed for the coppercoat, but it's great stuff, it was nowhere near £4,000 though , I think somewhere near £1k , I have lifted the boat a few times since and just get the slime jet washed off , the lads in the boatyard always tell me to rub the coppercoat over with sandpaper before relaunch , but I've never done so, and the results have been the same each time , a thin coat of slime which washes off with a pressure washer.
                          The part of the engine mount that is always submerged grows a good beard which I scrub off every so often in the marina with a long handled scrubbing brush , so the coppercoat is definitely working.
                          Coppercoat is epoxy resin with fine copper granules added, the copper is poisonous to plant life. There is a legal maximum amount of copper granules you are allowed to mix into the epoxy, the more you put in the better it works , so putting the max amount in is advisable , or so I believe
                          If I was buying a new boat again, I'd definitely have it coppercoated.
                          Obviously the boat needs lifted for servicing etc , but so far the hull has only needed a quick inspection whilst she's ashore to make sure all is well underneath.
                          At £1000 it works out about the same price as spending £90 a tin for International antifoul and doing it every year. But with a lot less arm ache.

Thanks for the price guide Ray...it sounds good to me...

Comment

Working...
                          X