Budget boat reel wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget boat reel wanted.

I`m looking to buy a new boat reel but my budget will only stretch to about £50. I`ve seen a few on Ebay and the one that I`m considering is the Leeda Icon M30 for around £45 - £50, it comes pre-loaded with 40lb braid. So I would like to know if the reel is any good, is the braid any good. If anyone has got one or has used one in the past any advice you`ve got about this reel would be much appreciated. Or if you can suggest any other reel that might suit I would be very grateful.

Daiwa Firewolf 47X (Level Wind) For down tide boat fishing the Firewolf X offers two models of reel with a great balance of price and quality. The

Got one of these for sale on here, used 4 times, loaded with 30lb line, £40, have a look if you like. Pics in For Sale section.
    Last edited by kayos; 23-01-2014, 02:04 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

I Bought The Icon M30 boat reel from Reelsport about a year back, The reel isnt fully loaded with braid only partially..The braid is attached to mono, I took the braid off mine anyways as im not keen on it but all in all its a great reel for the price and coped amongst rough ground and wrecks with no problems at all

Comment

cant comment on reel
        personal opinion(shared by many) any braid less than 50lb does not have the abrasion resistance required when boat fishing
        also worth mentioning are there are many who dont contribute to this theory also
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Get a second hand 535 will cover all boat fishing

Comment

Originally posted by EFC FOREVER View Post
            Get a second hand 535 will cover all boat fishing
            Totally agree....

Comment

keep your eye out for a second hand shimano tld15. then buy some 50lb+ braid from china.
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
                cant comment on reel
                personal opinion(shared by many) any braid less than 50lb does not have the abrasion resistance required when boat fishing
                also worth mentioning are there are many who dont contribute to this theory also

I used 30 on col old boat aswell as a few boats out of quay never had any issues with it imo ;-);-);-) ya could get away with 30 braid main line 40 mono rubbing leader and 20/30 lb mono fluro trace length just in my opinion mind ;-);-);-)

Comment

You can pick up an okuma classic pro for under £50 if you search about, the basic classic xt is about £30 but the spool will collapse under a bit of pressure from braid...... There are a couple of versions of the pro model, I think it is the 400L which has a stronger and deeper spool, I have had a pair for 3 years and regularly used shadding with 50lb braid, had no issues with them but I tend fish in 100ft or less as a rule so couldn't say how they cope with very heavy wrecking, if you want to stretch your budget consider the snowbee vortex 20 I have seen a few around £75.... rrp £125... Or as already said look out for TLD 15 second hand......Penn 535 also bomb proof!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have managed to pick up a second hand 535 for £40, (a bargain I hope) now just got to order the braid from China and hope it gets here before the fishing gets underway.

Comment

You could try an

abu 7 not a bad reel and for fifty quid you can buy a new one mate good luck. jeff
                      You've got to be in it to win it

Comment

Working...
                      X