The Coquet Twister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coquet Twister

In keeping with designing and creating lures to fish particular areas (although I'm sure the fish don't know ) We started with the Slinky "St Marys grub", and have now added the Slinky "Coquet Twister".
    After discussion with my good friend and local expert Colin (amblecol) the twister has emerged as a leadheaded sandeel.
    The leadhead began its humble life as first a piece of balsa that after whittling away was used to cast a basic head into high temperature silicon, then the lead casting was used and, after fitting of a retainer at the rear of the cast head to hold in the plastic body and after adding a little detail this became the master model to a) cast a false head for the body mould box and b) use to cast the leadheads around hooks.
    The mould for this is an aluminium box with high temperature silicone to make the shape ..... a bit work yet needed as the life of the silicone around molten lead is not good yet.
    A false head was used with a balsa body for the main mould which means the ability to fit a completed head into the mould and cast around it (not as per commercial lookalikes which are cast bodies with the hook pushed through.

I've rambled enough, loads more info if anyone would like to hear and see it but for now heres a few pics of the "Coquet Twister" to date

Humble beginnings ...

The finished leadhead mould with master model ...

Then after painting ..... a squadron ??? of leadheads

Body mould in the making ... with the false head ...

A selection of St Marys and Coquets ...... ready for the catch ...... over to you Colin

Cheers for reading

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Great stuff Norm , the body fits the leadhead perfetly, what weight are they
    I know by Col's reports that he does quite a bit trolling, were they designed with this in mind..

Comment

look like pollock killers

Great stuff, finish looks very good as usuall.

Mmm Orange ones aswell

Comment

Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
        I AGREE

Comment

They look great Norman.

It’s interesting to read that the silicone mould insert is surviving lead pouring. If you and Tony are ever interested in green sand casting a few aluminium moulds in the Slinky workshop let me know and I’ll get some bentonite for you.

Do you find the weighted lures work better than the unweighted?

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
            They look great Norman.

It’s interesting to read that the silicone mould insert is surviving lead pouring. If you and Tony are ever interested in green sand casting a few aluminium moulds in the Slinky workshop let me know and I’ll get some bentonite for you.

Do you find the weighted lures work better than the unweighted?
            Aye kevin its a high temperature silicon ... but not quite high enough I get 20 or so (maybe more from a mould) before the definition melts off (but basic shape lasts longer)

the other stuff you mention ...... 100% interested Kev, pm me more

weighted/unweighted ???? horses for courses I think .... the weighted I always think of working over wrecks as imitating bait fish but the unweighted are more of a visible lure for shallow water ... St Marys ..... my views anyway

norm
            Last edited by Norman; 28-01-2014, 11:08 PM.
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

From someone who would not have a clue on how to even start to make anything like that norm, I think what you manage to do is first class pal. Keep them rolling.

Comment

once again, brilliant Norman

Paul

Comment

Superb as ever Norman ! Bring it on
                  Cheers Bert

Comment

absolutely first class, really professional Norman. Bet you can hardly wait for the season to start. Hope the water clears up in time after all this fresh water around.
                    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Must be great feeling to produce tackle/ lures and then have it catch fish.... Very impressed

Comment

Brilliant Norman. very professional
                        Chris

Comment

hmm i see trouble ahead for you norman

amble col. massacre of pollock,and you are guilty too,by association

great production well done is the next one going to be a craster crasher
                          AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

I think I might be able to post a fish pic caught with one of those Norman, amazing creation exactly to spec!

Comment

Am I going to have to start saving up my aluminium cans??
                              Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                              I AGREE

Comment

Working...
                              X