X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melting lead.

Is it ok to melt lead in an aluminium pan

What do you use

I heard a Stainless teapot is good to use..

I use a cast iron pan, it was a Creuset pan, the enamel and wooden handle are long gone.

Last edited by KeithB; 27-02-2014, 08:25 PM.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Small stainless steel cup is ideal u can contain the heat a lot easier if ya using a blow torch. Remember to wear ya googles safety first.

Comment

We use an aluminium pan Chris for leadhead and shad weights but lots of "crust" forms, for drop weights we use a larger but an ordinary steel pan (one with a riveted handle and a spout formed into the rim)

norm
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Got this going spare if it's any use Chris.

Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Thanks for the replies lads, Keith thats a great setup youve got there, thanks for the offer of the pot, but i'm after something like youve got there, a big pan with a ladle, the pan i've got is a large old jam pan and i wasnt sure if it got red hot it might fail...

I've been looking on the net and i see some lads have cut a small gas bottle in half, seems like a canny idea...

Comment

I've used a stainless steel teapot for years now and can't fault it
              ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Jester View Post
                Thanks for the replies lads, Keith thats a great setup youve got there, thanks for the offer of the pot, but i'm after something like youve got there, a big pan with a ladle, the pan i've got is a large old jam pan and i wasnt sure if it got red hot it might fail...

I've been looking on the net and i see some lads have cut a small gas bottle in half, seems like a canny idea...
                alway's be careful cutting gas bottles,
                a used to make log burning stove's and bbq's out of them,
                knock the valve of and fill the bottle with water ,
                if there's any remnent's of gas left in the bottle and you start cutting, make a spark and you'll have a torpedo in your garage.

Comment

i'm just starting making leads again and unsure what to use to melt the lead in.
                  would like a cast iron pot or pan but they're expensive
                  what's the price of lead at the moment. what's the scrap yards buying at and selling at?
                  Chris

Comment

Look on ebay for a Creuset pan Chris.

Get lead from Rooneys on Gateshead riverside, £1.30 per kilo last time I was there.
                    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
                      Look on ebay for a Creuset pan Chris.

Get lead from Rooneys on Gateshead riverside, £1.30 per kilo last time I was there.
                      Are you melting bullion Keith looks like a foundry smelt in ya garage

Comment

Originally posted by hulme6612 View Post
                        i'm just starting making leads again and unsure what to use to melt the lead in.
                        would like a cast iron pot or pan but they're expensive
                        what's the price of lead at the moment. what's the scrap yards buying at and selling at?
                        You're welcome to the pot I offered Chris (Jester) if it's any use to you.
                        Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
                          You're welcome to the pot I offered Chris (Jester) if it's any use to you.
                          yeah i'll take it, cheers.
                          i'll pm you about picking it up
                          Chris

Comment

[QUOTE=KeithB;674056]I use a cast iron pan, it was a Creuset pan, the enamel and wooden handle are long gone.

[/QUOTE
                            got the same pan as you mate but wood handle toally knackered now and got to keep tightening up handle any idea.s where, how to replace the handle
                            as like to keep pan as bit briil for lmaking leads

Comment

Does anybody wear a fume mask as there is some really bad stuff that comes out of the lead during melting?

Sean
                              The beautifull South

Comment

Working...
                              X