What Antifoul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Antifoul?

I need to re-do my antifoul, I have always used Jotun sea queen as it lasts about 4 years but this time it is now not available and the stuff they recommend is for the leisure boater. I always bought commercial stuff and had very good service out if it

What do people use and how long do you get out of it?

Thanks

Sean
    The beautifull South

Think I've said before but the jotun sea queen was the worst I've used so far.
    After reading all the hype about it on WSF.
    Spoke to a canny fella on the phone when I bought it and followed instructions to the T with recommended sanding, primer barrier and all. Decent dry weather putting it on aswell. Checked it was in date.

Was lucky if it was good for 4 month never mind 4 years

Bad batch maybe

The best and cheapest I've used so far was some stuff called Teamac.

This year I've gone for some international stuff after a few local recommendations.

If I had a bare hull I would go for the coppercoat.

Comment

I use International Paints’ Cruiser Uno. It came out well in some recent tests I read and has worked for me over the last 5 years at the Royal Quays. I usually repaint it every 18 months even though there is still enough remaining on the hull to do its job. There's never any barnacles growing, weed growth is minimal except along the waterline if I've not been out for a while and any remaining slime is easily jet-washed away at lift-out time.

I empty a tin of Trilux over the prop, spraying on several coats to build up protection. (sorry Norman ) Some remains, most is lost by liftout but it keeps the worst fouling away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
        I use International Paints’ Cruiser Uno. It came out well in some recent tests I read and has worked for me over the last 5 years at the Royal Quays. I usually repaint it every 18 months even though there is still enough remaining on the hull to do its job. There's never any barnacles growing, weed growth is minimal except along the waterline if I've not been out for a while and any remaining slime is easily jet-washed away at lift-out time.

I empty a tin of Trilux over the prop, spraying on several coats to build up protection. (sorry Norman ) Some remains, most is lost by liftout but it keeps the worst fouling away.

prop antifoul prop drag

norm
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Copper coat Sean. We are lifting out for a polish and service next week so I can give you the two year results. Last year a quick power wash was all she needed, the copper coat had performed very well.

Graham.

Comment

PA Lynch have got offers on anti foul Spring is definitely in the air,The sun has even arrived !!Now is the time to prepare the boat for the summer cruising and days out.Spring offer on all International,Hempels and Flag Antifouling,plus to clean off the winter grime,and get all the glass fibre surfaces clean and bright. offers on Farecla, and Y10 Cleaners and Polish.
            BIG Discounts on Antifouling :
            2.5L 15% off SRP
            750ml 12.5%off SRP
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Charlton View Post
              PA Lynch have got offers on anti foul Spring is definitely in the air,The sun has even arrived !!Now is the time to prepare the boat for the summer cruising and days out.Spring offer on all International,Hempels and Flag Antifouling,plus to clean off the winter grime,and get all the glass fibre surfaces clean and bright. offers on Farecla, and Y10 Cleaners and Polish.
              BIG Discounts on Antifouling :
              2.5L 15% off SRP
              750ml 12.5%off SRP

Got an email this morning from International Paints and been recommended Micron Extra 2 has anybody else used this one?

Hi Alan

Micron Extra which I have been advised by International Paints is £83 including delivery online at Boatpaints and I need two tins. P A Lynch its £107.86 and then they have to add the shipping, so there offers are not very good at all.

Sorry to be blunt Alan but I do like helping anybody save a few bob and at P A Lnych it would cost me at least another 70 to 80 more for doing my antifouling when you add in the primer/sealer.

Sean
              Last edited by big_sean; 18-03-2014, 10:10 AM.
              The beautifull South

Comment

That's what I'm using this year Sean, got it from storra up on the coast road by Newcastle, they have a sale on Antifoul at the mo, micron extra is a shade under £90 for 2.5 ltr so not too bad for local shop. Thanks to the jester for the tip off on the sale.

I've put 3 coats on and an extra coat on edges to try for the 2 year without a recoat, time will tell.
                I put a coat of primacon on first.

Comment

Originally posted by Codfather View Post
                  That's what I'm using this year Sean, got it from storra up on the coast road by Newcastle, they have a sale on Antifoul at the mo, micron extra is a shade under £90 for 2.5 ltr so not too bad for local shop. Thanks to the jester for the tip off on the sale.

I've put 3 coats on and an extra coat on edges to try for the 2 year without a recoat, time will tell.
                  Hi Martyn

International told me that because mine is on a trailer and will then be in the water then out again I may get 3 years out of it.

That's is a good price for a local store as online I can only get it for £83, For me it has to be mail order as I don't live near any chandlers, well the one I do live near is rrp only and they have to order it in, how much did you use in total as your boat is slightly bigger than mine so I should be able to get a good idea from yours.

Cheers

Sean
                  The beautifull South

Comment

5 ltrs was just enough for ours Sean, 750ml of primacon should do you, it goes on canny.
                    Seaqueen is compatable with micron extra on the chart anyway, but I had some paint flaked off a bit whear rollers on trailer had been so put a coat of primacon on after a good sand and rinse.

Comment

Do none of you fellas know anyone who works at International Paints? I'm sure you could get some at huge discount through them if you had a contact.
                      Cheers.
                      Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by big_sean View Post
                        Got an email this morning from International Paints and been recommended Micron Extra 2 has anybody else used this one?

Hi Alan

Micron Extra which I have been advised by International Paints is £83 including delivery online at Boatpaints and I need two tins. P A Lynch its £107.86 and then they have to add the shipping, so there offers are not very good at all.

Sorry to be blunt Alan but I do like helping anybody save a few bob and at P A Lnych it would cost me at least another 70 to 80 more for doing my antifouling when you add in the primer/sealer.

Sean
                        No problem Sean
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Codfather View Post

That was a good price from Storrar Martin, mines been in the water nearly 3 months now, its winter and the growth is slow, but my hull is clean as a whistle and the only growth is on the engine bracket and transducer.

I've used International Micron Extra on all my boats and find it does the job well....

Comment

Originally posted by The Jester View Post
                            That was a good price from Storrar Martin, mines been in the water nearly 3 months now, its winter and the growth is slow, but my hull is clean as a whistle and the only growth is on the engine bracket and transducer.

I've used International Micron Extra on all my boats and find it does the job well....
                            Micron Extra it is then.

Thanks for all the replies

Sean
                            The beautifull South

Comment

just doing some work for the distributor of the sonihull untrasonic antifouling systems

not cheap at £795 for up to a 32' foot boat but remarkable results. effectively, fit one and thats it. never antifoul again

as a test the dubai coastguard left 2 identical vessels berthed next to each other unmoved for a couple of months. One with one without. the one with was shiny gelcoat still, the one without was a mass of growth
                              ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X