Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident

Has anyone got any more news on the accident off the South Gare this weekend that resulted in two deaths.It seems it is a mystery as the seas have been flat calm[Edited on 3/5/2004 by Tat]

[Edited on 3/5/2004 by Tat]

Was in the vicinity and heard the Hartlepool lifeboat on 16 but sounded like a training exercise so didn\'t investigate further.We were just coming ashore at the time the alarm was raised so would not have heard anything once we were in the dock. The latest MCA report just gives casualty names, maybe something in tonights Gazzette.

Comment

There is a report in the gazette but it does not give much details just that the authorities were investigating the capsizing of a 30ft pleasure cruiser in the vicinity of the south gare. I does praise the actions of 2 youths who were on the dunes and ran to raise the alarm.
      give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Quote from Newcastle Evening Chronicle.....
        Two die after boat overturns May 2 2004

Two men were killed and a third was injured after their pleasure cruiser overturned.

A major rescue attempt was launched after the 30ft Sunseeker capsized on the River Tees near Redcar.

Cleveland Police said three men on board the vessel were thrown into the water.

A spokesman said: \"We were alerted by the lifeboat service that a boat had overturned off the South Gare at Redcar.

\"The three men on board were thrown into the sea. Following a search, three persons were recovered from the South Gare. It was confirmed that two persons were deceased and a third person was taken to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough with leg injuries which are believed not to be life-threatening.\"

The spokesman said an investigation had been launched into the cause of the accident.

A spokeswoman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said they were alerted by a member of the public, who called 999 after seeing the pleasure cruiser in difficulty.

A major search was launched involving three RNLI lifeboats, a helicopter from RAF Leconfield and the Redcar coastguard rescue team.

She said the search was called off after the two bodies and the injured man were recovered from the water.

She said: \"It is still unclear that has happened but somehow it is believed the vessel had taken on water and overturned.\"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        What ever happened in this tragic accident my heart goes out to there families and friends.
        Once again the RNLI and RAF are there when we need them most
        Cheers Alan...

Comment

It said on the local news today that the Two lads that died were local and the lad that survived was from London.

He was clinging to the top of the boat which was so low in the water they thought it was a jet ski.

Unfortunately although there were life jackets on board only one person was wearing one.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Sadly it looks like yet another case of ill prepared boaters taking chances and paying the price. Does anyone know where it was berthed?Paddys Hole maybe?

Comment

Sadly it looks like yet another case of ill prepared boaters taking chances and paying the price. Does anyone know where it was berthed?Paddys Hole maybe?
              You might be right mate but i think its a bit early to make judgements on what happened.
              Cheers Alan...

Comment

Man tried to rescue pal May 4 2004

Andy Passant And Dave Robson, Evening Gazette

A grieving mum today told of her son\'s frantic efforts to save his friend as a seaside boating trip ended in tragedy.

Peter Blount, 47, from Redcar, and his friend Bernard Powell, 56, from Stokesley, both lost their lives after the cabin cruiser they set out in capsized off the Teesside coast.

A third man, 20-year-old Philip Ridout, survived the terrifying ordeal off South Gare, near Redcar, on Sunday.

Coastguards launched a massive search for the missing three crew members after the alarm was raised at 3.30pm.

But it\'s believed the boat sank between midday and 1pm - meaning Mr Ridout had to endure a nightmare three hours, sitting on top of the submerged boat\'s hull, before he was eventually rescued.

Redcar teenagers James Hutchinson, 14, and Terry Milburn, 15, raised the alarm after spotting him waving his arms and calling for help.

Mr Ridout was picked up by a Redcar lifeboat crew and taken to hospital but tragically, his two friends died.

Mr Blount\'s devastated partner Jane Trainor told the Gazette \"they died heroes\" but was too upset to make any further comment.

But his mother Margaret Bonson, from Redcar, today spoke of her heartbreak.

She said she was told by Mr Ridout that her son had tried to save his friend Bernie.

Speaking at her home in Laburnum Road, Redcar, she told the Gazette: \"Bernie had asthma. He was only very slight built. He kept falling off every time a wave came. Peter kept going out and bringing him back.

\"He wouldn\'t leave Bernie because he couldn\'t swim. He would not have coped if anything had happened to Bernie.\"

And she revealed how her son phoned Jane to say he was enjoying himself shortly before the trip ended in tragedy.

She said: \"You just feel numb after a bit.

\"I don\'t really know what happened. All we know is that they went out fishing.

\"Peter phoned his partner just before it happened.

\"He said \'we are having a marvellous time, the weather is great\'.\"

Mr Ridout told her it was only a short time afterwards that the boat capsized.

Mrs Bonson described her son as a caring person who liked to help others.

\"He would give anybody anything, do anything for them. He was generous to a fault.\"

The tragedy happened as Teessiders flocked to the coast to enjoy the warm weather.

A search was launched involving five lifeboats, from Redcar, Hartlepool and Teesmouth, the rescue helicopter from RAF Leconfield and Redcar Coastguard rescue team.

Mr Ridout, who suffered a broken ankle and severe hypothermia, was taken to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

A probe into the cause of the tragedy is now under way.

Police today confirmed the trio had trouble starting the boat before setting out just before midday.

On reaching South Gare, the engine cut out again and the boat began taking in water very quickly, throwing all three men into the sea, a police spokeswoman said.

Dave Cammish, of Redcar Lifeboat, today appealed for anyone who saw the cruiser from before midday onwards on Sunday to contact police.

And he confirmed Mr Ridout could have been in the water for up to three hours before he was picked up at 3.30pm.

He said: \"The indications are the boat went down between noon and 1pm, but we\'re a long way from any explanation as to what happened.

\"The weather was fine and there was no indication from the boat of damage that could point to it hitting something or running aground.

\"The survivor did indicate they had some mechanical problem they were trying to fix, but the water came in so quickly they didn\'t have time to use their VHF radio.

\"The boat was only half a mile off the beach and half way between Majuba Road and Teesmouth, very near to the British Steel outfall pipe.

\"It was a nice day and a lot of people were on the beach.

\"Maybe people saw something and didn\'t realise the significance. After all, when we launched, we thought it was to someone sitting on an upturned jet-ski.

\"We just want anyone who saw that cabin cruiser at any stage to contact the police. It could help shed some light on this terrible tragedy.\"

Police say the boat is due to be examined in conjunction with maritime and recovery experts from Southampton

Two questions i would ask are Why did they go to sea knowing the engine had problems and obviously no auxilary, flares etc and why did the man who can not swim not have a life jacket on.

Still no one deserves to die RIP Lads and hope that others can learn from this.
                give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Jason ,a third question could be how did the boat fill up so quickly with water when the sea was calm.
                  As you say tho\' sympathies to both families

Comment

What ever the reasons are, so sad. My sympathy\"s are with there families.
                    Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

I was out near Longscar buoy (first trip out in my boat) during the afternoon, but we decided to come in about 2:50, so would have been back in Hartlepool marina by the time the alarm was raised (or at least on channel 80), so missed everything.

It\'s a sobering thought that this tragedy was unfolding only a couple of miles away from where we were fishing, and we didn\'t notice a thing (we were out from about 11:30).

There were loads of boats out - power, sail and jet-skis - in many ways, it\'s amazing no-one saw anything. Such a tragedy they were unable to get a mayday off, as I\'m sure help was only a couple of minutes away.

No-one can bring them back, but perhaps there are lessons for us all to learn - grab bags, personal flares, portable VHF strapped to you and so forth. I\'m a newbie to this boating business, and I\'d be interested in the thoughts of some of the more experienced folk on this site.

Comment

We, me and the 2 lads, fished the South Gare on Sunday from 8.30a.m. and when me and the youngest lad were coming off the pier at about 4 o\'clock a coastguard land rover was haring up the pier with its blue lights going.
                        Adam stopped a bit longer and witnessed the whole thing. 3 life boats and 2 sea kings with police searching all round the rocks.
                        A lifeboat came really close in and told the lads fishing to reel in as they might catch something they didn\'t want to.
                        Sympathies from me and the lads to all the families

Comment

It seems that in recent months we’ve all had occasion to reflect on the dangers of this sport / pastime / hobby, indeed, passion in which we take part.

This latest, tragic incident has once again brought home the inherent dangers of man mixing with water. Like all those who have already commented, I also feel for the families of the men who lost their lives in pursuit of their hobby. I know what it’s like to lose somebody close in sudden, totally unexpected circumstances – it’s indescribably devastating. What I can’t imagine (nor would I ever want to), are the feelings, thoughts & recollections which the survivor, Mr. Ridout, must be suffering.

I know everybody means well when posting their comments & condolences, and I may be wrong, but reading this thread in its’ entirety, it starts to read a bit voyeuristic and ghoulish.

As PhilT has mentioned…..
                          “No-one can bring them back, but perhaps there are lessons for us all to learn - grab bags, personal flares, portable VHF strapped to you and so forth. I\'m a newbie to this boating business, and I\'d be interested in the thoughts of some of the more experienced folk on this site”

As there are many WELL experienced boat owners out there, how about I create a new forum in the BOAT FISHING area STRICTLY for the purposes of boating safety issues? Would there be a willing volunteer to take on the role of running that forum? as I have absolutely NO experience in these matters.

Comment

Excellent idea Tony,I do hope that someone can take up your request to run such a forum.Anything that can help prevent further tragedies of this nature needs all the support it can get.
                            A quick Google on \"safety at sea\" produced the following link to a valuable site that all boaters would do well to make their watchword

http://www.sailinks.co.uk/safety/

Comment

I guess there\'s NO takers, then ???

Comment

Working...
                              X