Getting a boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a boat

Hi guys - I am thinking about getting a trailorable boat....I had a boat before when I lived in Australia for 4 years and really miss it. I'm not familar with UK fishing boats.

Couple of questions:
    1) I am thinking about th 17-18ft mark. Currently I've looked into the Wilson Flyer 17, Warrior 175 and Raider 18. Are there others I should look into?

2) What are the launching options at either south gare or Hartlepool? Can I lauch with a car there?

Thanks all

Jamesgoesfishing

Hi James, and welcome to this forum. other boats around the 17-19ft mark ...........Reiver, made locally at Stanley Co. Durham. Endevour, Preditor, seahog, Orkney, all good seaworthy boats and easily trailered.
    If you are launching of the beach, could be a bit tricky with just a car as I don't know what facilities are around Hartlepool.
    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

My favourite out of those is the 175 Warrior, but it's big boat out of the water.

The best boat I've been out on is Reiver Sportsman, it's simply great on the water. The only drawback with these is storage, or lack of it. On the other hand the the build quality is superb.

Good luck with the search.

Comment

Welcome to the forum mate Try ringing Hartlepool Yacht Club theres a ramp there, but not sure if you have to keep your boat in their compound to be able to use the ramp..

Look at the Explorer Elite as well, its my 2nd one now great handling and loads of storage

Comment

B.O.A.T =

BRING OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND

Why do we do it??? the freedom and the fun
          ................__................................ .............................
          ____[ ~ \_____
          [__On-A-Roll__/
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          P.B
          SKATE 204lb
          COD 51lb
          LING 32lb
          TOPE 40lb
          CONGER 25lb
          HADDOCK 10lb
          HALIBUT 37lb
          COALIE 16lb
          BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Hi James, welcome to the forum mate .......

norm
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Morning James,

The warrior would be my choice, we used to have a warrior 150 and she was a great boat we ventured anywhere with(subject to the weather conditions). The raiders look lovely too but the lad next to us when we were up at Amble had the one with the taller cuddy and struggled with his drift speed and often had to use a drogue. The smaller lower cuddy version might be ok though?

Graham.

Comment

Thanks Guys - I will look into your suggestions.

I will need to trailor as I live in London and main spot will be on south coast. But have family in Boro and Whitby, so get up north quite regularly.

In aus you needed a boat license so I have a good grip on basic boating. However, navigation was less of an issues as no fog and lots of boats everywhere. Are there some course to go on to get to grips with charts, GPS, plotters etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesgoesfishing View Post
                  Thanks Guys - I will look into your suggestions.

I will need to trailor as I live in London and main spot will be on south coast. But have family in Boro and Whitby, so get up north quite regularly.

In aus you needed a boat license so I have a good grip on basic boating. However, navigation was less of an issues as no fog and lots of boats everywhere. Are there some course to go on to get to grips with charts, GPS, plotters etc?
                  Power boat level 2 is a good start, Also don't for get your VHF course

If you are not going to be towing too much and depending on your car type size have you considered a possible Jeanneau pilothouse style boat. if you are going to keep it in a marina down south then trail it up every now and then it could be a consideration.

Sean
                  The beautifull South

Comment

Thanks.

I'm wokring on boat + tailer + motor + extras being less than 1,600kg

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesgoesfishing View Post
                      Thanks.

I'm wokring on boat + tailer + motor + extras being less than 1,600kg
                      You wont be able to do it the lightest ford fiesta weighs 1049kg and to get the rest for less than 550kg is impossible unless you get a very small boat

you will be limited to something like this to get it all in at that weight

Sean
                      Last edited by big_sean; 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM.
                      The beautifull South

Comment

LoL, I think James might mean his total max towing weight is 1600kg

Comment

Originally posted by canman View Post
                          LoL, I think James might mean his total max towing weight is 1600kg
                          Well if that is the case I read it wrong doh! So that would open up a whole host of boats even a Jeanneau Marlin 6 would fit into that.

Sean
                          The beautifull South

Comment

This is worth a look James on ,Boats and outboards. Just type in the paa909057

economical...

PAA90957 Seahog SeaJeep and 50hp Johnson/Suzuki 4 stroke
                            Ref: PAA90957 Price: £5,995 VAT:Included Make: Seahog SeaJeep Built: 2006 Country: United Kingdom Location: Lancashire Advert Placed: 14 days ago Fuel: Petrol

2006 Seahog Seajeep in fantastic overall condition, no scratches or damage 2006 Johnson 50hp 4 stroke PTT (this is actually a Suzuki DF50) 2006 Snipe trailer, recent new wheels, bearings, jockey wheel, rollers) with new unused spare wheel with fitted bow g

Comment

Working...
                            X